How to change brake drum on LR88 SIII Lightweigt

Hi can someone give me a hint about how to open the brake drum on a SIII Lighweight.

Having problems removing the drum.

Regards Felix

Reply to
Felix

Have you wound the adjusters fully back, so the shoes are off? If so then it might be stuck with rust on the hub itself. Try WD-40, lump of wood and a large hammer.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

hiya,

firstly back the adjusters right off,

then whack it around the circumference , with a hammer ( more a tap than a whack, whacks come later)

and it should slide off, if not, a gentle persuasion with a screw driver, levering the drum over the shoes. sometimes tapping drum with the hammer at the same time helps.

this should work.

cheers

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

In the past I had problems with the three retaining screws, they were well chewed up and spent ages with Duck Oil, an impact hammer and a larger than normal bit. They came out eventually and are always replaced now with one of several new ones bought just for this occasion :) A bit of coppaslip on the countersunk screwthreads might help when putting them back in. I don't tighten them up either, they can;t come out as long as the wheel is against the face of the drum.

If they are out and the drum is still firm, A block of wood against the rim and heavy blows with the biggest hammer might free it. I'd get a better blow from crouching under the vehicle so make sure it is well chocked and supported etc, maybe put the wheel on the road under the drum as well. This isn't standard practice though, only had to do it like that once.

Don't be tempted to hit the drum directly, maybe with a big rubber hammer but not a normal one or lump hammer. Try rotating the drum with the wheel still on if it is stiff, gives better leverage. Has is been stood a long time?

Stick with it, you get there eventually. Haven't had to do one for a long time now so I maybe remembering it with a more favourable memory. I was probably doing it at 7.00 on a November evening last time and trying to unstick frozen fingertips from cold metal and not getting crap falling on to me from the bodywork as I sat under the bugger.

All the best

Reply to
wayne

Hi,

thanks for the help.

I wounded the adjuster all the way back. I will try the WD-40. Propably I need to fill the whole drum.... Then : Is pure force on the drum OK? So fa I tried exactly, what you said, except for the WD-40.

Regards,

"Alex" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Felix

I don't know about lightweights but on series Land Rover drum brakes there is a threaded hole in the drum (not countersunk like the retaining screw holes) which you can use to screw in a bolt which will push out the drum. The bolt doesn't have to be long, it only has to get the drum moving.

Reply to
PDannyD

I forgot about winding the cam adjusters off (assumed if the drum rotates then they are free but maybe the shoes can move and bind as the drum is pulled), and about that threaded hole. Apparently it is standard thread but I foget what conveniently removed bolt is supposed to fit.

Anyway, it's only 11.30 at night, plenty of time left out there Man! what's wrong with you!

Reply to
wayne

:-)

Hah! Been helping some friends up the road to mix concrete. I was loading/unloading the mixer, his wife was ferrying buckets back and forth and her husband was upstairs laying concrete over the underfloor heating. Gonna work like horizontal storage heaters.

Two beers and a bottle of wine later in repayment and I'm happy as a chocoholic who's just been locked overnight in a chocolate shop.

I'm now off to wash out 3Kg of cement dust from my hair.

Reply to
PDannyD

you could make use of your bedside table lamps, job will be done in an hour, then you could snuggle up to your missus and inform her of your success, in graphic detail.

night, night

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

While there were some changes to drum sizes for the later SIII, the Lightweight does use standard parts. The bit at the end of the axle is different, but not the brakes or hub bearings.

Reply to
David G. Bell