101 Club - Call to Arms

Your 101 (Club) needs YOU!

As many will know, this is the 30th Anniversary of the Joint Services West East Sahara Expedition. (see:

for more). By way of an Official Celebration of their achievement our club is planning a special display and exhibition THIS WEEKEND at the Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon, Warwickshire during the Land Rover Show and Heritage Day (which includes the historic "Cavalcade" organised by the Association of Rover Clubs on Sunday morning from the Land Rover Lode Lane factory, through rural country lanes back to the Heritage Motor Centre).

We'll be presenting our unique "Field Cinema" in an ex-military 12x12 tent showing rare footage of the 101 prototype testing together with the film documenting the West East Sahara Expedition; "The Widest Beach in the World", now digitally remastered (and available on DVD from the 101 Club Shop). We'll have a stunning mix of original condition, rarities and modified currently used expedition 101s, a very rare powered trailer currently in restoration and vehicles from the West East expedition.

This year the Land Rover Show, promoted jointly by Land Rover Monthly magazine and the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust will also be hosting "Overland 2005 - Dedicated to the rapidly growing expedition and overland leisure market". LRM have always been a true advocate and friend of the 101, the current issue features 2 dedicated articles covering 8 full pages alone.

The "Marque Day" was originally established by the late Christopher Savidge, President of the 101 Club. In recognition of his contribution to the overall continued success of this event, a new award for "Best Club Display" was created last year and went to the Freelander Owners Club. The award, presented by Bonny Savidge, serves as a perpetual memorial for Christopher who was without any doubt, one of the greatest advocates and ambassadors for the Land Rover Marque.

So, why the call to arms?

Quite simply, as this is our 30th Anniversary celebration of "the" expedition, firmly establishing the 101 as "the" vehicle for off road and overland travel, and given that the show was willed into life by our sadly deceased President and friend, and given that LRM are involved, and given that the 101 quite obviously deserves it... WE WANT THAT AWARD FOR BEST CLUB DISPLAY!

This isn't going to be easy and to be honest it's not something the

101 Club generally do - as we prefer to admire the stunning displays from other clubs in our fraternity, but this year, we're determined to 'have a go', and in order to achieve this, we're going to need YOUR help, and most especially, we're going to need it on the Sunday when many vehicles will be away from the stand whilst in the Cavalcade. We need 101s, and we need them on our stand - the more the merrier. Club passes have almost gone, so we're going to be cheeky and ask (beg) that you pay to get in yourself, find the club stand and display your 101.

If you can't bring your 101, bring something interesting, make a small display with details of your restoration, bring the photograph album of your 101 Expedition, bring the original blueprints (yeah...).

Remember, many of the other clubs are used to going all out to get these awards, we're not used to it so must try to win on spirit and determination - let's make our display interesting, welcoming and fun.

Whatever you can do, large or small, we need you to do it, and we need you to do it THIS WEEKEND.

Contact Alasdair Worsley, our Show Officer, or myself: m[AT]101fc.net I'll collate interest and pass this on. Please help us make this "our show, our award" - the 101 is a unique vehicle and deserves it!

Reply to
Mother

And a whole 4 days notice ,,,,,,,,,, ;o)

These short notice things tend to have a great response in my experiance, no time for people to make excuses and change minds , , hope it goes well

Smurf

Reply to
Smurf

Yeah, but these are 101s - simply not on to try and plan anything in advance!

Reply to
Mother

I don't think Morph in bare metal looking like an advert for P38 filler will do much for the artistic impression

:0(

I could propbably only make it on the Sunday anyway, do the exhibitirs passes afford entry?? If your real desperate then get Al to bung one in the post to me and I'll do my utmost to be there Sunday early on with tribe in tow.

Won't be offended if the offers declined but Morph does have a little history.

:0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You're a star, many thanks. Al will be sending tickets tonight.

Reply to
Mother

VRrrmmmpptt VRrrrmmmpt

OH MY GOD!!!!......

Oi .....Tom/Tim get them 101's out!

I was doing a car boot in the morning..... could kill two birds with one stone ;o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I could have done with a few weeks of warning/reminder for the show! I completely forgot about it till Martyn mentioned it here last week.

My 101 is looking really scratty at the moment, and i dont think it would be a very good example to put on show. I dont really want to drive it on the road how it is either. Its got lots of oil leaks and ive got to finish off my engine cover and finish fixing the dodgy wiring.

Morph looks pretty good all shiny!

I have found a supplier of enamel paint in Stoke though, and think i have chosen one colour... and i might get the engine cover finished on saturday and have time to finish chopping my bulkhead out.

I would like to come down to Gaydon. I might come down in the car on sunday - I can follow Morph and flash at you to try and dazzle other motorists ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

:o)

Cut the remains of the centre bulkhead pillars out today. Just need to relocate the wires for the switches which has just mean removal of the roof pannel and demolision of the cab roof pannel.....

I love these lickle jobs... no stress...none..not a bit...and I don't itch...no ... I don't itch a bit..

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

And I've a photo of the blueprints for the ambi

this was the very technical design stages of the lip of the overhang of the lower strecher base. It then formed the top of the sliding cupboard doors...... don't tell the Japs though, don't want them sussing out the highly technical schematics. ;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I just have pictures of guns inside mine!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Take me a picture of where the support struts run up in the cab please! I want to see if i can get some moonrooves in there! :)

I havent taken my roof panel off yet, though it will probably drop off as soon as i move that 'orrible filter box that i keep hitting my head on as it looks fairly rotten.

I'm expecting morph to be fully converted and painted by sunday!

Reply to
Tom Woods

You did look at my site to see the way I rerouter those wires, didn't you?

I'm about to replace all of the fibreglass for the other stuff I can't remember the name of (Steve, can you remind me???)

Reply to
Mother

Er.... I did now fortunately I'm at the remove and scratch head stage....

where to these run too now and where did they origionally run too? So far everything seems to go towards the front roof area...

Looks like I need to remove the cover over the pillar behind the drivers right ear too from your piccys.. seems the most logical place to put the switches for driver and rear passengers.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:00:44 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

clashes with Harchery up in Kendal, so I won't be there, but best of luck.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

shows where they used to come down via the centre medicbox thingumie, essentially you need to mark each wire 'first', then move like this

Yes, the wires run through the side channels - I left these in for this reason, to retain the strength (this is the only part of the bulkhead which add rigidity), and also to put my speakers in :-)

Shows the wires in the channel.

My arms itch like f*ck just looking at those piccies. Must take all that sodding fibreglass out, someday...

Reply to
Mother

You are going to try and get to Eastnor though, aren't you?

Reply to
Mother

Steve is in Russia but I think it was celotex.

Lizzy

Reply to
Steve Taylor

No piccy yet but the struts run the width of the escape hatch and then have a strut halfway across them forming a H shape. Should easily get a sun roof in.... You could actually fit two one infront of the other.

I also found a slight leak I didn't know I had...winner! NOT :o(

Yeah I did paint him....but the colour clashed with my weddings , funerals and christening's suit so I stripped it all off again ;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^ You expect us to believe that huh? We all know that you got your mum to do it... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:50:09 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I'll *try* to, yeah.

remind me of the date again?

Reply to
Austin Shackles