Hypothetical 101

Just hypothetically, if somebody were toying with the idea of buying a

101, where would be the best place to look?

Have any/many of them been converted to modernish diesels such as

200/300tdi?

David.

Reply to
David French

101FCR website. Ebay.., occasionally LRO.

Yes, particularly the ambi (Rich Clafton and Tiggurr sprint to mind) I am currently rebuilding a 200Tdi for my wife's 101 Ambi.

If you get one, make sure to join the 101 club, for the parts and general good crack.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Don't talk about Martyn like that....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Twas Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:16:17 +0000 when David French put finger to keyboard producing:

hypothetically eh david? ;o) eh ;o) eh ;o)

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Join the club. There are a fair few advertised in the magazine, and it should give you a good idea of what you should be paying. I didnt join until after i'd bought the truck, and it would have been much more sensible doing it the other way round.

Its also worth looking on milweb

lots ofprivate ads on there and links to dealers. I found mine on there. You should also read the 101 yahoo group
. Not many ads but lots of usefulinfo.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I bought mine (a 90) from Wiltshire Land Rovers; very helpful, friendly staff, huge selection (want a Saracen? They've got one. Want the Judge Dredd taxis? They've got one. Want a sodding great Scammell? They've got one...), and everything seemed to be (internally, at least) in pretty good nick.

Anyone else been there?

Reply to
Torak

Depends on how hypothetical really.

Yep, easy conversion. So is LPG and you (erm, 'your friend') would get to keep the V8

Reply to
Mother

Anybody taken a 101 to Overfinch and said "Surprise me" yet?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Percys drivetrain may be for sale soon if your feeling brave. (4.2 Jag and 3 speed Auto) I've had enough and am going back to standard. I've got a rechassis pending and if I do rechassis it will be Galved hence I don't want to be faffing around with engine and gearbox mounts.

When I say standard I mean standard Landrover parts... so a v8's not out of the question.

I'll also be getting a chassis already for power steering.... there thats the next 2 years sorted.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Swap you a stock S3 88" for Percy?

Besides, the 2.25 petrol *is* a Jag engine originally.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Having spent a whole day faffing around with the new carbs to no avail I've given up. If I'd of had a hand grenage I'd have flung it under the bonnet and walked away (briskly!).

I've invested so much time, but I'm now bored with the thing. Frustratingly I've just got a 12 month mot and then he came to yet another spluttering halt. Had hoped to get another 12 months from him before rebuilding on a new chassis but I'm dammed if I'm pouring more money on the carbs now. I only did just over 500 miles in him last year and 150 of that was when the Rangie got stuffed.

I've also got too much on so if any one was to cross my palm I'd be very tempted at the moment.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Well, I had my cheque book in my hand, but after your sales pitch I'm not so sure... :)

Reply to
David French

LOL!!!!!

Reply to
Nige

Yeah, me too!

Tis a freakin nightmare.....

" I ask for Landrovers with freakin lazer beams and this is what you give me"

:o(

was fine until recently but the one thing I'm short of is motivation... and it's getting worse by the day.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Don't be too hasty. I was getting a bit sick of mine at the start of the year after all the hassle i had with axles and it breaking seemingly all the time. It spent a couple of months parked up round at my parents, and eventually i found that i missed it and i really enjoyed getting into it again (it made the couple of days work fixing it less tiresome too as i was eager to drive it again!) Ideally park him up somewhere where you dont see him everyday (parents gardens are great for this! :), and see how you feel in a few months.

I think that ive actually reached the point i wanted to be at about 3 years ago with my landy now. Since about march ive spend a day replacing the fuel pump and 2 days messing with the blocked fuel lines again. Thats it. I've only needed to put about a litre of oil in too.

I have felt like throwing in the towel so many times over the last few years!

I've done about 1600 miles in it in the last 2 months too with it being my only work car.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm beginning to consider spending weekends doing up other peoples landies for hot tea and them buying the bits.

Unlike lots, I find it very relaxing. It's nice being able to sit down after a week dealing with lots of managers and the like and just do something which is entirely down to myself and has a tangible result at the end.

No cost benefits, just achievement.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

In all seriousness, you have my sympathy. The 101 has barely turned a wheel in the last six months and the Series 2 is stuck in the garage. But then I started up the 101 t'other day and just sat in it and listened to it tick.

If I move house in the next few months then I'll have to get them both road legal and useable!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Well, as I'd like a "real" Landy but don't really have the knowledge to be able to keep it going, maybe I should get a 101 and provide the tea, and you can make it work properly!

Reply to
David French

Milk and sugar?

Reply to