12v Dash Power Sockets

Whats the scoop with the red and black power socked on the Dash of a Series III.

Wanted to put hook up a cigarette lighter to them so I could charge the GPS, Mobile Phone etc etc... *but*

Reading through the Handbook, it explicitly states that the power outlet should not be used for charging any form of battery equipment. Is that just a generic warning that I could probably find in the cigarette lighter manual of any car or is there something special about those sockets?

Have read back through the old posts and haven't found the answer to the above.. but did note that somebody said I can get the correct jack plugs from maplin.. Anybody know the part number or even better whether a cigarette lighter converter is already marketed somewhere?

Many thanks,

Mark Gowans

I think that will be the case. The socket is a direct connection to the battery, however, and as mentioned in another thread (Re: Re: Re: Warning - Defender fire hazard.) they are not fused - so anything you connect should be! I would have no worry using them as you suggest. One potential problem is that unlike the cigarette lighter, the sockets have nothing to prevent you putting the plug in reversed, so you need to be careful, and preferably make sure the equipment you are connecting will not be damaged by reversed polarity (most will not, but its better to make sure!) (snip) JD

Reply to
JD

Maplin cat. code:

Wander Plug Black = HF50

Wander Plug Red = HF53

on my 67 land rover the socket was used for a hand held spot light. hope this helps

Reply to
Mel Hollier

I think you will find that the sockets on a series dash are not 4mm banana plugs, they are the old imperial ones. Thus if you wish to plug something into them you'll have to change the sockets to 4mm ones.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gowans.org (Mark Gowans) growled:

The most important thing to be aware of is that they're *unfused*. I had a SIII written off (I bought it back off the insurers and re-built it ;-)) after the +ve wire fell off the back of the connector and shorted out. So if you're going to use the sockets (and even if you're not) be sure the wires are secure at the back first. And if you are going to use the sockets then only plug in fused appliances.

Other than that it's just a case of not being silly over how much power you draw.

You'll want "banana" plugs I think.

Reply to
Paul Oldham

Curses - Maplin have discontinued them.. gr...

Reply to
Mark Gowans