Re: What MPG ?

I have A Discovery Td5 Auto ES 25000 miles. I only get about 20 MPG on a

> mixture of long and short runs is this normal. It seems a bit thirsty to me > .

This is exactly what I used to get with the one I did 12,000 miles in. Mind you I did drive it like a nutter...........

To be honest I would have thought 25mpg would be probable IF I could have used some restraint but the performance was too seductive..........

Reply to
vince

Hmm, I get about 25mpg (11L/100Km) driving normally - city cycle!

Reply to
Adhesive Labels

We average 29 mpg with our 1991Disco 200TDi because it's nearly all very short runs. Long distance cruise gets about 33 mpg. After 12 years and over 100,000 miles the old girl is just settling in nicely. I do wonder about the TD5 though. Not surprisingly Land Rover have had to continue to provide the 300TDi for markets where rugged durability and easy fixing is essential, that's what a Land Rover is supposed to be good for. I guess compared to the faithful old 200Tdi its a sacrifice of economy and rugged simplicity for a bit more power and less noise.

I suspect the 200TDi will prove to be the classically perfect engine for what a Land Rover really stands for.

Reply to
Moving Vision

My 300 Tdi Defender does about 20,000 miles a year as it's my only vehicle and the average consumption on road is just below 30, never below 27. Off roading obviously hammers the fuel economy!

Reply to
John Stokes

Not true! The TD5 I had was great at low speeds - it's 95mph cruise on the motorway that does it - along with beating all the other cars away from the lights..........

Reply to
vince

Yes it's definitely the auto that kills diesel economy - I USED to think diesel autos were slow - till I drove the new TD5 - much better than I thought but you can't have your cake AND eat it!!!!!

Reply to
vince

For real cake and eat it ear splitting 100% grin factor pleasure you need a V8 on LPG ... 9p per mile! YESSSS!

LOL Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:28:39 +0100, "Colonel" enlightened us thusly:

aye. fecking git.

mind, it's a dodgy position, there - the oil companies have invested a fair bit in installing LPG apparatus on forecourts (bearing in mind I've been told that a simple installation is about 20 grand to the appropriate standards), so if they make it cost significantly more relative to petrol/diesel, then people will stop using it (currently, costs about the same as the equivalent diesel motor on fuel, or a bit less than the same motor on petrol). Lots of people not buying LPG will mean the oilcos wont get their investment in infrastructure back, and will no doubt be pissed off. I don't suppose Reichschancellor Braun gives a flying f**k about whether the populace get pissed off, but the oilcos have more clout.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

For real cake and eat it ear splitting 100% grin factor pleasure you need a V8 on LPG ... 9p per mile! YESSSS!

LOL Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:17:14 +0930, "Adhesive Labels" enlightened us thusly:

it's not exactly a new idea, they've been doing it for ages, especially on truck engines.

but there are now people fitting diesel landies etc., the only thing about it is that you do need to know what you're doing - I gather it's possible to get it wrong and destroy engines, and in particular, you don't want to use a vapour take-off system on an off-road vehicle - if you get liquid gas into the engine, it can go into terminal run-away mode.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:02:44 +0100, hugh enlightened us thusly:

AIUI, you can have either more power, or cheaper running costs, but not both. By turning down the diesel quite a lot and using plenty of gas, you can reduce the fuel price slightly, or by not turning the diesel down, you can boost the power quite a bit, at the expense of running costs and maybe engine life if you go too far.

Reply to
Austin Shackles