Cigarette Lighter sockets

Hi,

Ive been a lurker for a while and have enjoyed the banter etc. I have a new style 04 Astra and have bought a sat nav for myself over x-mas. I need a twin cigarette socket so I can power it and charge my phone at the same time. Im looking for a low profile male end, so that the cable etc, doesnt impede out of the cigarette cover. Ive seen a couple but they all have the standard cigarette plug rather than a lower profile type. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
David Day

OK. I actually read your post this time. (((c:

Somewhere like Maplins might be able to do you a low profile cigarette lighter plug. I dunno for sure but its the sort of place I'd start, there or Halfrauds.

If you have any bodging capability at all:

Maplins'll also do cigarette lighter socket kits. You could plumb a second socket into your glovebox for instance, or into where the rear ashtray would be. Perhaps there is an option on your car for an auxiliary socket somewhere, you could gather the bits from a scrappy or dealer and plumb that in instead.

Cigarette lighter sockets are cumbersome though. I'd be after something more subtle. I'd chop the end off my satnav power connector (fnarr), bung some sort of fuse in and wire it up to something like the back of the cigarette lighter. I'd fit the same power connector with a little trailing cable perhaps to my other cars so's I could swap my sat nav over between them. Cigarette lighter would then be free to light cigarettes or charge phone depending on requirements.

Sounds a bit clever eh?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I think you meant to type 'I've' but obviously you are incapable of the simplest etc etc etc and I've been on usenet longer than you etc etc etc and you somehow managed to misconstrue my last post entirely which is not a surprise considering etc etc etc and please stop top posting in HTML etc and here's your post's header information presented in a vaguely threatening manner and I've informed your ISP so there etc etc.

Reply to
Mark W

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Mark W, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Leave the poor sod alone. He's got an Astra. He deserves all the help he can get.

Motor World etc do cig adapters but Ged only knows how good they are.

Reply to
Pete M

The only place I coudl find one was in a shop in Chorlton-cum-Hardy. It seemed to be Handy Ahmed's Finest Fish Bazaar and Car Spares Emporium because it was one of those places that sells everything. And it's a crackingly good adapter, three sockets and the plug flods over to make a compact shape for storage in the glove box. Cost pennies and works well.

I have another one from Maplin, four sockets on a lead also works well.

The big problem is the word "Astra" because the ciggy lighter on Astras is bloody useless. It only seems to fit the Astra lighter. Everything else I've tried to use with it (my GPS, phone charger, Belkin adapter for iPod, charger for laptop) all fall out of the socket which just seems to be badly made/out of spec.

Reply to
Steve Firth