12V dashboard plug

Does anyone know where to get the two pin plugs that fit the sockets on the dash of a SIII please? Greg

Reply to
Greg

Any chance of a picture ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Greg uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Maplin do em. The oginional ones cost a Kings ransom last time I looked. I've a set wired to a ciggy lighter socket.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

LR used to put one in the tool kit. Part number 560617.

It was a pretty nasty thing - there may be better ways of doing it.

Reply to
Dougal

Provided they're 4mm Banana Plugs, Maplin do them for pennies.

Beware though, Series II/IIa plugs are not 4mm, they're the old imperial ones, I'm not sure which ones the SIII have, but if they're not 4mm, you can easily change them to 4mm ones, as maplin also do the sockets.
Also, the test sockets on the dash are UNfused. If you're going to connect a ciggy socket to them, an inline fuse would be a good idea.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Maplin appear to do the same ·%$&($( stupid thing that RS do, and the links you have provided don´t work, except for you kind of thing. Stupid stupid idea.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Umm. The links work fine for me.

Reply to
Dougal

4mm yeah right 8-) these are 1/8" if memory serves. I picked up one of the genuine inspection lamps at Malvern for £20 and wish I'd bought the pair he had 'cos some bloke on eBay is asking £28 for just a plug on a length of wire!

Thanks for the warning, but following the rewire there's nothing but the starter motor unfused on mine, I added a second Lucas 4 way box protruding from the left end of the instrument panel enclosure which looks almost intended.

I was hoping to leave the originals sockets in, oh heck does that make me a rivet counter 8-)

Greg

Reply to
Greg

You can solder wires to brass splitpins and drill a small piece of plastic with same hole centres to hold the pins and cover with heatshrink, works for me.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

They are NOT banana plugs, they are somewhat smaller - can't think of the correct name (having a senior moment) but essentially the correct plug is a chrome on brass split pin with a threaded brass slider, and an insulator that keeps everything in place. Should not be too hard to make one up ...

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Senior moment over. It's a wander plug.

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

And available here:

Duracell Bunny

Thanks very much Karen, I thought someone must still make one. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Thanks Martin, that's a good fall back if Karen's source can't deliver. Greg

Reply to
Greg

link too. Thanks Greg. Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

If you're carefull you can drill the imperial ones out to take 4mm plugs, it's not a lot, but it is a blind brass hole, so a pillar drill is reccomended.

On my IIa I used a twin post like this

which actually looks neater than the original ones. The spacing is slightly different, which necessitated elongating one of the existing holes.

Oh, and mine is fused, as I built a custom wiring loom myself for it, with things properly fused. Currently has 8 fuses used out of a 10-way block of blade fuses. No, I'm not a rivet counter and the blade fuses are easier to get hold of....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Thanks Alex, I'm looking at alternatives, another one is a different arrangement of sockets in the accessory switch panel over the auxiliary instruments. I'm up to 8 fuses too, much better in my book to blow a fuse than set the old girl on fire 8-) Greg

Reply to
Greg

Best regards.

Roberto

"Greg" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Reply to
Roberto

Funnily enough, my new wiring loom nearly did catch fire about 3 months after i fitted it. But that was down to a p-clip coming adrift and the loom dropping behind the accellerator linkage, which chafed its way through the main feed and the dynamo field wire from the regulator.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

That's a useful link, thanks. Greg