1970's Range Rover Petrol Pump Cutting Out

Hehe, yeah lucky! Well i'll fix up a new return line over the next couple of days, and hopefully it'll give me a healthier engine. I've had a quick look now, and there is evidence of a possible fuel return from the distant past - i.e holes and fixings so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Reply to
Mike

It's always worth checking (or replacing) the capacitor (aka condensor) if the points are pitting more quickly than expected. If the capacitor fails short circuit, then the coil will stay energised and the pump will just stop working (in this case, you can disconnect the capacitor as a "get you home"). If the capacitor fails open circuit, then the unit doesn't fail immediately, but the points will be subject to excessive arcing and will eventually fail. The capacitor in the pump works basically the same as that in the distributor. When the points open, disconnecting the current flowing through the coil, the magnetic field from the coil collapses, inducing a voltage spike across the points. The capacitor is there to mop up this spike and stop it arcing across the points.

Regards, Arthur

Reply to
ArthurC

You wouldn't believe the lengths i've had to go to to get a 'like origonal' fitting for the fuel return union, i think the thread must be wentworth of something. Got a very nice chap at a Pirtec in Reading to modify a standard fitting for me. Anyway, fuel return line fitted, she runs like a beauty, and hey presto the fuel pump seems fine again - it doen't even stop when i wack it!

Thanks again to all for all the advice, made my life much easier.....Now its just the other 20 or so jobs that need doing for the MOT!

Reply to
Mike

Mike uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Is this now time for the "Has any one got a spare chassis I can bolt to this Fuel pump?" Question.

;-)

Good to hear it's sorted!

Lee D

Reply to