1975 SWB update

Now then, been to look at the SWB and the first report is chassis looks in exellent order top section of the bulkhead looks OK, footwells and door tops resemble red coloured crepe paper :-)

rear floor looks fine, couldnt really have much more of a look then that as it was pissing down and shes up to the wings in grass.

upshot is I'm arranging to have her towed here (about 5 miles) when the brother in law gets his 2a back tomorrow, then have a proper looksee.

She's a diesel and was last driven about 18 months ago thats about all I know at the moment, but as she's free I might as well bring her here and have a tinker.

oh and I like the safari roof rack on the top !!

Will it be OK to replace just the footwells? and are there panels available just for that?

sorry but expect MANY more questions and some of them will probably be stupid!! the LR's Ive had in the past had leather air con PAS and mush more ! the only air con this has at the mo are the holes :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Staffbull uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Take a peek here, it should give a little insight in to what to expect. There is a section specifically on Footwells and Door pillars.. not alot of text at all but a picture paints a thousand words and all that.

It can be alot of work - This particular one now lives in California, bit extreme to deter future rust but hey ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Cheers :-).

I'm in no rush, and dont mind having a go, is there a steering lock on a 75? the keys werent with it and I couldnt turn the steering ( keys will be there when I collect though) cant see it seezing up in 18 months?

Reply to
Staffbull

Did a quick google and these came up for panels

they dont seem too bad really =A315 for one side =A37 odd for t'other. I'm going to have a hunt round here for some servicable door tops and see where I go from there, here's for some dry weather as the garage is too small, but good enough to hold the parts I pull off :-) now then haynes manual..........

Reply to
Staffbull

if the keys are on the steering column (should be being a s3) then it should have a lock (or did have one once!)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

they dont seem too bad really £15 for one side £7 odd for t'other. I'm>going to have a hunt round here for some servicable door tops and see>where I go from there, here's for some dry weather as the garage is>too small, but good enough to hold the parts I pull off :-) now then>haynes manual.......... where are you? (got some glazed door tops)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hi M8, thanks for the lock pointer, and yes it has the lock on the steering column,

I'm on Anglesey which is probably hundreds of miles from you :-( we usually are miles from everyone!! birthpalce of the Land Rover you know Anglesey, Maurice Wilks and his brother ( forget his name) had a farm here and pencilled the first landy here and tested it on one of the beaches here. End of history lesson as someone much more knowlegable will be along to tell me more :-)

Where abouts are you?

Reply to
Staffbull

panels

>they dont seem too bad really £15 for one side £7 odd for t'other.I'm

Hi M8, thanks for the lock pointer, and yes it has the lock on the steering column,

I'm on Anglesey which is probably hundreds of miles from you :-( we usually are miles from everyone!! birthpalce of the Land Rover you know Anglesey, Maurice Wilks and his brother ( forget his name) had a farm here and pencilled the first landy here and tested it on one of the beaches here. End of history lesson as someone much more knowlegable will be along to tell me more :-)

Where abouts are you?

... using a chassis from a surplus ex army Jeep .... etc .... centre steering . ..... etc !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

4 Jun 2007 06:35:55 -0700, Staffbull

yep, be worth a bit if it was hanging about in a barn somewhere round here !!!

Reply to
Staffbull