2.25

Anyone got any ideas on how to get horsepower and torque from a two and a quarter

Reply to
TOM

TOM vaguely muttered something like ...

Get a different engine .. ;)

High lift cams and harder valves / springs are supposed to do some good, better breathing and gas-flowing the head also do some good. A decent service of _all_ electrical components and fixing / upgrading them work well too ... especially earth straps, fitting electronic ignition etc

Trouble is, it's now an old engine and 'performance' bits are like Hens Teeth ..

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Got to Automative Components

and there you will find everything you need.

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

:-)

Not really hens teeth!. Bits for LR engines seem very easy to get hold of! They do tend to be slightly pricey though.

there are a few places that seem to do lots of 'performance' bits for the 2.25. Check out the adverts in the landy mags

One of them, is automotive

In my experience, and judging by what my mates have done, the easiest ways to speed up a 2.25 are:

Get rid of the oil bath filter and stick something like a K&N on Change the exhaust. Either get something a bit bigger or just changing the backbox for something sportier makes a bit of difference.

After this you get to engine modifications like gas flowed heads, and cam changes. You can also get things like different manifolds to suit different carbs. One of my mates also bought a 2.8 block (or somthing similar) for his. Doesnt half shift now!

Reply to
Tom Woods

My understanding is that the oil bath filter is pretty free-breathing, and you need to be altering the rest of the intake path to justify changing it.

It wouldn't surprise me if a different exhaust manifold would pay off, in the same way as the LCB-type on the Mini engine did.

It would be easy to fix one choke point, and not gain very much because of another. These things tend to be done as packages.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Fit a high-compression (9.1) , flowed head. Change the cam. Fit SU manifold/carb. Flowed exhaust manifold.

If it's a 5bearing crank, then you can fit a longer throw crank to take it up to 2.5.

Probably easier and cheaper to fit a better engine to start with.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Tom Woods vaguely muttered something like ...

Heheheh, you're right. When I looked, a couple of years ago it has to be said, there seemed like only one or two 'bits' to choose from. I mightn't have looked very hard mind .. ;)

Totally agree, breathing makes a hell of a difference, and is best done as a whole. Though even changing just the air filters and carb jet sizes can help a lot ..

Heheheh .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Binning the exhaust manifold and going for a header works wonders. Not only can it breathe better but you lose the power robbing "hot spot" on the inlet manifold.

Reply to
EMB

:-)

£50... well then theres the other stuff....

Similar weight, similar petrol consumption.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In news:aqBad.85$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net, Lee_D blithered:

But you were trying to mutate base metal into gold!

Reply to
GbH

Get a copy of the Lambretta Tuning and performance manual

(sorry couldn't resist that whilst the subject of hens teeth and there rarity was in the offing)

Reply to
Larry