Realy Realy OT ?

Just watched an advert for yes car credit and I have a question for all the intelligentsia heree. The two little girls in the back seat of the car sau "we would say yes" to a question asked by the blond girl, but thay don't say "we would" but a contraction of the two words "we would" .

How do you spell that contraction?

I can't figure it out.

-- Your help is, as always, greatfully receved. Rory Manton

1957 109 Series One, Daisy 1965 Series 11 SWB GS , Rose.
Reply to
Rory Manton

Rory Manton vaguely muttered something like ...

we'd

as in you'd - you would, he'd, he would etc etc

Reply to
Paul - xxx

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Paul - xxx blithered:

Unfortunately that contraction is indistinguishable from that for we had!

Reply to
GbH

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Paul - xxx at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 11/10/04 13:20:

Thanks for that. I just cant spell to save my liff.

Reply to
Rory Manton

GbH vaguely muttered something like ...

I wasn't aware that 'we had' could be contracted ... but assuming it can and you're right, then as it wouldn't normally be used singularly and out of context in a normal sentence, it isn't really a problem.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

So Paul - xxx was, like

Course it can! _We would_ have been wet if _we had_ been outside in the rain = We'd have been wet if we'd been outside in the rain.

Lots of words sound the same - bear (animal), bear (carry), bare (unclothed) - the context usually makes the meaning clear. This naked animal is injured - can you bear the bare bear to hospital?

Or something. I'll get me trapper's hat...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard Brookman vaguely muttered something like ...

Heh, obvious when you think ... which I patently didn't .. ;)

Which is what I said in the bit you snipped ... context makes the meaning clear .. ;)

And I'll get me jerkin ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

So Paul - xxx was, like