2.5 petrol vs 2¼ petrol

idle thought crossed my mind... how similar are the 2.5 and 2¼ petrol LR engines, and will the 2.5 bolt straight into my series?

Only I had one in the 110 which I flogged (cheap) to a bloke, later found that the poor running on the 110 was not in fact a dud engine at all, so it's probably quite a decent motor. If he's still got it, I might try to buy it back...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The 2.5 has only a marginaly better perfromance than the 2¼ on paper, but real-world performance is far better - it's even much better than the 2¼ 90 (twin choke carb) one. Definately worth a conversion. Obviously its designed to work with the LT77 box, but then the 2¼ 90 engine in my SII went pretty much straight in (can't remember if the mountings needed modding or not - it was a while ago...)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Every spare cell I have is saying yes..... so probably not.

In fact nah, you'll never get it to fit.....

If you have any trouble leave it here.. it'll fit!..... "Pass that big hammer love would you...." ;0)

Lee D.

Reply to
Lee_D

My money is on the 2.5 fitting straight in.

From experience:

A 2.5 diesel will fit straight onto a normal series box.

The automotive 2.8 engines will fit straight onto a series box (are they made out of 2.5's?)

A 5 speed box out of an early 90 will mate straight onto a series engine.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Are there any issues with prop-shaft lengths when doing this, particularly the rear prop on a SWB Series III?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

What were the 2.8 engines fitted to?

Reply to
Doorbell

On or around Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:52:13 GMT, "Doorbell" enlightened us thusly:

things with rich owners. It's a conversion on the 2¼ / 2.5 engine, takes it up to 2.8 by extending the stroke and fitting special pistons. Costs mucho dinero, though, sadly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Were we perhaps thinking about the BMW 2.8i used in South Africa?

Reply to
Dougal

Nope the one Tom refers to is a Landrover engine tunned to the edge if my memory serves me right and is located in deepest darkest Staffordshire (UK).

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:06:03 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

Same answer though :-)

but there is a 2.8 conversion on the 4-cylinder LR engine, which by all accounts makes it into a monster, with more torque than the V8.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You will need some new ones!. Also worth remembering that the 90 box will be permenant 4 wheel drive too..

I think that a standard lwb rear one is close to fitting (on a SWB landy)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yeah, I was thinking of the one made my Automotive components (see adverts in the landy mags). You can spend an awful lot of money building one for yourself! It may cost more, but it is quicker and easier than doing a V8 conversion!

Reply to
Tom Woods

vaguely on the subject, does anybody know of a _good_ 2.25 / 2.5 petrol engine for sale? S2 comes back soon, and the engine is the weak spot. quite fancy new, but it's fairly big bucks.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:41:10 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I sold the 2.5 from my 110 to Hannaford - later it became apparent that the problems were not in the engine at all, but were a faulty gas mixer. Since I didn't run it on petrol, there was no comparison to make that obvious.

he may still have it, mind, he's a long way from you.

01239 710579 - mind, I was toying with the idea of having it back for MY series... but the engine in that seems reasonable, so probably not worth the effort.
Reply to
Austin Shackles