Dead 2.5 petrol 90

Hello to all. Would be grateful for any help/advice re my sleeping 1987 2.5 petrol

  1. Was bought with the knowledge that the ignition switch was faulty: spring not working so I had to remember to turn the key back one place after ignition: not surprisingly I forgot one day and had travelled a couple of miles before the smell of burning initiated a hasty stop. It would appear I had burnt the starter motor out and drained the battery in the process (needless to say I had my first tow home). I have subsequently bought and fitted a new starter motor and recharged the battery, however despite this its still dead. The poitive battery lead which attaches to the solenoid looks in a bad way, could this be inhibiting the flow of juice? any other thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Reply to
landynovice

The contacts inside the solenoid too...

Reply to
David G. Bell

If you attempt to charge a dead battery with a lot of chargers you will find they cannot as the electronics need to read the polarity before they can start . Quick way to see if the battery is fudged is to jump start it off another motor then run at resonable revs for about 10 minutes after which try to start her on the button you should be able to charge overnight if that works. Theres an interesting thought when I was young and my overalls were bigger than I was- solenoids could all be switched by pushing the pole from the bottom (early mini's didn't have a starter position on the key for that reason) why did they stop doing that? Derek

Reply to
Derek

Do you mean the vehicle is dead, or the battery? Assuming you mean the vehicle, then from the sound of it the ignition switch is dead (it was that falling to bits internally that casued the original problem and probably shorted causing the starter motor to engage).

579085 Ignition Switch - Back of Column Lock - Petrol - Defender to FA415402 may help.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd