Which Steering guard?

Hi Folks, I'm thinking of fitting a steering guard to my 300tdi discovery automatic. I have no idea which of the many offerings would be best. I don't intent to do much serious off roading, but would like some protection for when I'm doing the rough stuff. Your thoughts and suggestions on this subject would be welcome. Thanks Davy Murray

Reply to
DavyMurray

I'd suggest that for 'normal' green-laning then a steering guard is mostly unnecessary. More important are decent recovery points front and rear, Jate rings or similar.

I have a steering guard on mine, but the only time it helped was at an off-road course (Manby 2008) when it actually bent .. but none of the steering arms did!. (3' drop-off onto ruts, I took too fast) Twice I've been prevented from reversing out because the guard acted like a plough!

OTOH, I have no clue who made it, but it's steel, welded, has recovery eyes and jacking points and bends rather than breaks! .. and bought off ebay (brand new) for £39. Apparently original retail was £89 but the guy never fitted it for 5 years he had it. Was a bitch to fit and would be harder to remove, I think, short of the angle grinder approach .. ;)

As it looked when fitted ...

As it looks now ...

Paul - xxx

"Davy Murray @Blueyonder" wrote in message news:11BKn.80376$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe23.ams...

Don't bother, in 16 years of trialling I have only bent two drag links, and I compete in some pretty severe trials, yet I have seen many a competitor get hung up on their steering guard. Ok I have reinforced my track rod by slipping it inside a piece of thick walled steel tube, and keep meaning to do the same with the drag link.

Mike

Muddymike

I agree with the other replies, they're bling. Spend your money on a spare track rod, a spanner and two lump hammers so you can change it in the field, in about 10 minutes.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

I've managed to make a couple of OEM track rods look like bananas, made of liquorice I reckon, I'd recomment installation of Heavy Duty items, track rod and drag link.

Reply to
GbH

Having had a large dog go under the front of a RR at 80kph and bend a rod so the straight ahead steering position was instantly altered by almost 90deg I'd say that extra protection is worthwhile. It was so close to a major crash. If I get around to the restoration that will be an important part.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

I've also bent a few, all on an early 90 with no power steering. Funnily enough on a later power steered 90 I never bent one, apart from when I fell off a stump in the Nationals a few years back. Neither of these 90s even had the original tubular guard as factory fitted.

Gordon.

Reply to
gordon

Thanks for your thoughts.

The only bit that I would worry about (other than the steering gear) would be the auto transmission oil pipes going under the front chassis to the oil cooler.

Has anyone come across this problem? Would I be able to re-route the oil pipes above the chassis member?

Thanks again Davy M.

Reply to
DavyMurray