200 tdi no oil pressure

Hi. Mate of mine has a 60k mile 200 tdi 90. He parked it and nipped to the shop, when he got back the oil light stayed on when he started the engine. Towed it to garage put a pressure gauge on it. No pressure. Put a new oil pump on it. Light went out at tick over, came on and stayed on when he revved it. He took the engine out, stripped it almost completely. (left the cam and pistons in it). No visible damage or bits missing, no burst castings or missing oilers. No magically disappearing main bearings.

Meantime, I took his old pump and stripped it. Apart from one thing it looked like a good 60k pump. When I polished the relief valve plunger there was one ding in it that was too severe to polish out. Plunger was not stuck open on stripping, no feelable grit in the oil. Plunger smooth and loose in housing.

Mate carefully and cleanly rebuild engine and without cam belt on (with pistons clear) he drove the camsaft round with his pistol drill.

50 odd psi on a gauge, just like a propper one. Finished engine, installed, ran it, checked it, everything great.

Half way to work this morning the oil light came on and stayed on.

Is this a surprising collection of coincidences, or is there some known problem thats been missed?

Thanks Tim

Reply to
tim

He did check that the cam middle cam brearing hadn't slipped while he was there........ didn't he?

Assuming that there really is no other problem, then take the rear (as in nearest to the bulkhead) cover plate off the side of the block. Then crank the engine (obvioulsy making sure it won't start!). If oil pulses out of where the cover was like it has a heart beat then it is likely that the centre cam bearing has slipped and blocked the oilway.

It's not a common as on 2¼'s but it does occasionaly happen.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

aradise.com- Good Music, No Vine

Thanks Richard, that sounds like a very good option.

We'll try it and I'll let you know

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
tim

Thats another useful snippet of info from this forum - never knew that - thanks beamends.

My usual trick is to walk up to a bloke poring over a non-starting engine and tell him "I know exactly whats up with it" - "Yes?" comes the eager reply. "Won't go" says I !!!!!

Reply to
David J. Button

Can I hijack this thread slightly?

The idiot light for oil pressure on my 1990 3.9 RR Classic takes an alarming time to extinguish when starting from cold. That is to say that it takes longer than when my 1988 3.5 RRC starts in the same circumstances.

What is a reasonable-ish delay before the oil pressure warning light extinguishes?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

A couple of seconds I would say but ask Badger, he'll know.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Wed, 07 Feb 2007 19:13:43 +0000, Richard enlightened us thusly:

what oil, when was it last changed?

oil pressure on the V8 is low by design [30-40psi at 2400rpm, engine hot], but it should be running on 20W50, ideally. 15W50 is also OK especially in winter.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hmm, 7 seconds just now but I'm pretty certain it was something heart-stoppingly long like 10 or 15 yesterday (At least that's what it felt like!)

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Have you thought of testing the sensor that controls the oil light?

Regards Tony

Reply to
Tony

Hi Austin

15W50 mineral changed late November

Curiously (worryingly?)the oil still seems very clean. I have done possibly only 2 or 300 miles since the oil change.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

We had one really obnoxious customer crawl up in very sick 38a RR, demanding immediate attention despite me being obviously busy. You will look at it now says the bloke, imediately. Dropping what I was doing I went outside, put the bonnet up and informed the bloke that.. .... it's definately an engine. Put the bonnet back down and came back in, shutting the door.

Some people just know how get themselves helped :-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 08 Feb 2007 08:37:53 +0000, Richard enlightened us thusly:

it ought to be clean, then. Oil sounds OK on spec. provided it's *got* oil pressure, it's probably OK :-)

different ages of V8 had different switching pressure, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 08 Feb 2007 08:46:25 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

I'd have looked at it and said, "it's f**ked, mate."

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin

Not being able to compare V8 characteristics before now was probably a _good_ thing ;-)

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard