Re: who wrote the script?

My new Disco with no jacking kit that I have owned for only two days - guess

>what happens this morning? > >You got it, a puncture. > >Had to call out the mobile unit and get a new tyre fitted. > >Kerching. £80 please. > >Found tool kit on Ebay but seller wants auction to run full course >grrrrrrrrrr > >At least the tacho problem and cd player are fixed - loose connections. > >So I could at least count the revs and listen to cd's whilst waiting for the >tyre man. >

You should have hung onto the old disco till you got the new one!

Why not just buy a universal wheel nut undoing bar from a car shop? (or a powerbar and the right sized socket from halfords or similar). That is all you are missing isnt it?

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Wed, 07 Feb 2007 08:48:34 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

universal ones no good.

My favoured option is a GOOD 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 27mm diesel injector socket, which is a deep single-hex made for undoing 24mm thread injectors. nice big strong thing, available from Halfrauds-esque type places. Mine's a Draper Expert one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Or

NTC7829HD Wheel Brace - Heavy Duty - Defender/RRC/Series/Discovery £4.58 inc VAT Seriously though, you just need a wheel brace and, potentially, a cap remover (and, to be completely safe, a chock of some description), a handle for the jack and some odds and ends like a srewdrive and pliers. The tool kit doesn't have anything particularly special in it.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Not in the AA or similar then? Sometimes I wonder about the cost but tha= t single fee is more than half the annual sub I pay for pretty much the everything they offer (cover for me and the other half). I've got a fair= chunk of my monies worth this year by having the AA move the Disco (with= deflated back end) from home to the dealers 20+ miles way.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

of my monies worth this year by having the AA move the Disco (withdeflated back end) from home to the dealers 20+ miles way.

Sadly, both the AA and RAC's supply of tyres is extremely limited unless you've got a Euro-bubble - the only option they gave me at 2.00am on the M1 when I needed a tube for a non-abortable trip was to ring the High Chaperal, £215.00!!!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Draper do a good 1/2" telescoping bar, you telescope it out to undo and telescope it back in to do up, it doesn't take up so much space and it's harder to over-tighten as long as you remember to telescope back in. I've got them in all my cars now, together with a proper socket to fit the car.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I guess it depends on the cover you have, basic probably won't be much use but I'd still expect them to recover to a tyre place and check that =

said place had the required tyre in stock. Not many tyre shops open at

0200 though... B-(
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The RAC have their own tyre service, but the Euro-bubble syndrome applies - they only stock very common tyres, and even during the day would not have gone and got a 7.50 tube specially (they don't stock tubes at all) or so their operative said.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Not in the AA or similar then? Sometimes I wonder about the cost but that single fee is more than half the annual sub I pay for pretty much the everything they offer (cover for me and the other half). I've got a fair chunk of my monies worth this year by having the AA move the Disco (with deflated back end) from home to the dealers 20+ miles way.

Yeah, I have comprehensive recovery but I was on my way to work so needed the job done quick. My local tyre place are very good, they came out and did the job within half an hour. And cos I bought a new tyre they didn't charge me for the call out.

Reply to
tiscali

I guess it depends on the cover you have, basic probably won't be much use but I'd still expect them to recover to a tyre place and check that said place had the required tyre in stock. Not many tyre shops open at

0200 though... B-(
Reply to
Derek