2003/04 Discovery -- a good buy?

I am contemplating the purchase of a 2003/04 Discovery. I like the style better than the newer LR3. How much do I need to worry about maintenance? What are the common issues? Do they make good daily drivers? I'll most likely be driving it everyday and retire my XK8 to the weekends.

Figaro

Reply to
Figaro

Are you looking at the TD5 or V8? I am anti diesel, based mainly on my experience with the repair costs when it gives problems. That being said, South Africa seems particularly unhappy about Turbo Diesels, with our high-altitudes and speeds so don't take my thoughts as being applicable to your situtation.

That being said, when I spoke to the local dealer about TDV6 D3, they didn't even bother denying that you would be in for ZAR100K plus in the event of any minor engine problems.and since these can now be had for under ZAR200k, it obviously means that the newer landies are intended to be disposable.

If you are looking for a D2, then make sure you get the GS without the air suspension and anti roll system -forget what the landy acronym is for that. Both of these will definitely fail on an older landy and it will just cost big$$ to fix. Better off with coil springs.

Regards

Reply to
Fanie

I have an 04. I don't like the D3 styling either.

Only to the extent it is a Land Rover and attracts premium repair bills compared to a mass market cheap tin box. Full service at a dealer is somewhere around =A3400.

04 is at the end of the production run, most of the niggles have been sorted out.

Mines my daily driver and I love it, despite the fuel bill. I get

29.5/gallon long term on diesel. One could have something that would return 50+ mpg but would it be such a nice drive?

I think the costs may also be related to being in SA, rather than the UK.

In the UK at least if you have a 7 seat D2 the air suspension comes with it as part of the type approval. Changing to coils opens a can of worms relating to insurance etc if that worries you... Air bags do fail but are fairly cheap and quick to replace. The biggest weak point is the compressor, if you have a leak get it fixed quick or you will shag the expensive compressor.

I've had D2's with and without ACE (Active Cornering Enhancement). The current one doesn't have it and it does roll a little more on corners but not a great deal more. A D2 is hardly the sort of car you throw around corners anyway.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice