3.5 V8 problem

Hi all,

It's a 1986 110 3.5 V8 on carbs. Since fixing the exhaust and having the cam replaced by Badger, it generally runs like a dream (and sounds fantastic!). On a trip to Edinburgh on Monday (about 150 miles each way) I noticed that on long uphill stretches if I kept my right foot down too far it started to kind of cough, sounding like it would if the choke is kept out too long. This is doing about 50-60 so difficult to hear exactly. If I ease off on the accelerator it recovers and happily continues up the hill, but a bit slower. I made some tests on the way home:- It will happily pull from less than 30mph in 5th (on the flat), It will rev easily if I hold off changing up, while keeping up with someone off the lights etc. It copes well with short hills in 5th, Will happily do over 75 on the flat / downhill,

So any idea? could it be running a bit rich? It has the short fat round carbs not the tall thin round ones, can't remember which is which.

Cheers, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

It has Stromberg carbs. And it sounds like there may be a minute leak in the diaphragm in one of them.

Reply to
EMB

Wot 'e sez, and also check fuel system and filters are clear.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Mmm, diaphragms, shouldn't be those as I replaced about 3 years ago, but I'll check. Filter, well I have not replaced this in the 3 years since I had it, so I'll do it as I have a new element on the shelf.

Thanks for the ideas.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Check for dirt in the fuel lines as well. I had a real tough one to=20 track down which turned out to be dirt in the fuel line. At low fuel=20 flow it stayed where it was but when the flow rate went up it would=20 slowly moved along the fuel pipe till it blocked the fuel flow and the=20 engine would die. As soon as it died the dirt fell back down the pipe=20 and the engine would start again only to die again a mile or so later.=20 You could be seeing partial, not full blockage, leading to fuel=20 starvation when going up hill and using higher flow rates. Just my=20 =A30.02

--=20 Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong." Bertrand Russell

Reply to
Tony Raven

Definately sounds like fuel starvation- the float chambers are emptying faster than they are being filled at prolonged wide throttle openings...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Yes, that figures, especially as it took 30secs (or so) to recover fully after lifting off my right foot a little, which maybe the time required to fill the chambers again.

I'll change the filter at lunch time, but can't easily test it around here.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Fuel starvation. Check filters, check pickup strainer filter in tank, blow out fuel lines from front to back whilst disconnected. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Yup.

This was what screwed our old S3

Good point and _well_ worth doing, if you have a compressor ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Hi Badger,

Thanks for the ideas, will do that. Filter taken off 30mins ago, not so easy to see the condition, but plenty of sediment in the bowl. Of course it's turned into a long job as I decided to rust kill and paint the bowl while its off, so will be a few days before it gets put back together. But I will do the lines and check the pick up in the meantime. It appears to be an in-tank pump so I'll cut a hole in the floor to get at it.

Cheers, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

{%t!B7n^(]+n^rYSPr,-7n:bKm4F>~Eo][)mF$dW[KYi4DGl!&N"[UL+Ps>|0LafPV2*z\g-}! BJ&8^{0{yI

Reply to
Tom Woods

though i'm not good enough to make a working one! ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

LOL, send me [1] a picture you would like and I can try and 'make' an X-Face for you, best to convert (obviously) are small black and white line drawings..

Not promising anything, mind ... ;)

[1] reply email is mine and works, just let me know you've sent one as it really is never checked otherwise.
Reply to
Paul - xxx

Bad form and all that, but I found the on-line convertor I used for my Disco ..

Hope it helps.

Paul - xxx

Thats the exact one i used to make mine..

Found another one here:

So this might work now. However i need to find a better source image to use yet.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around 31 Oct 2007 19:43:25 GMT, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles