300 tdi fuel consumption.

Hi,

Just completed a run down to the west country... over 400 miles or so of

70mph motorway cruising I got 23.5 mpg. The 110 was pretty full, but not overloaded. Does this fuel use seem reasonable?
Reply to
David Sillitoe

At a steady 70mph 23.5 mpg is pretty close to what I get from my petrol V8 RR which is running around the 2500 rpm mark at 70mph.

I dunno what you should be getting but I would have figured you should be more economical than a V8.

I suppose it depends on the gearing you have, if you're thrashing the thing along at 70 then it's not going to be economical, kinda like if I run at a constant 90 to 100 then I'll only return 16 to 18 mpg. You might find if you ran a constant 55 to 60 the fuel consumption reduces substantially

For daily motoring I average 12-14 mpg, usually carrying a reasonable amount of weight and towing a small trailer.

Alan Mudd

1988 RR 4.6Efi vogue
Reply to
Alan Mudd

Just the standard 1995 110 CSW gearing...

Reply to
David Sillitoe

I found with a ldv turbo diesel luton body if i kept my foot down id get

17mpg but if i did 55ish id get 24mpg

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

On or around Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:31:15 +0000 (UTC), David Sillitoe enlightened us thusly:

the disco under similar use gets just over 30, ISTR, so I'd have thought you might be a little on the low side. What tyres, and what pressures?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

my Disco did 22957miles last year and averaged 27.5mpg on mainly motorway work at about 75 to 80mph. It's an auto fitted with BFG

235AT's, K&N filters and has 2 well loaded tool chests in the back among other stuff.

Chris

95 300 Tdi Discovery Auto 99 300 Tdi Discovery 50th Anniversary 84 Lightweight
Reply to
chris

Headache and lose teeth!

If I recall a ball park figure for a run was 21mpg but I reserve the right to be wrong and doubt 70mph plus figured in the quation.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

What do the guys running 101 ambis with the 300 tdi get ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:49:49 +0000, chris enlightened us thusly:

it's the 75-80 bit that kills the economy. Ours did a run up to scotland and fairly drank diesel, but then again I was doing 80-90 on the motorway a lot of the time.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What tyres, and what pressures?

BF Goodrich All Terrain A/T

30psi front, 40psi rear...
Reply to
David Sillitoe

On or around Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:15:07 +0000 (UTC), David Sillitoe enlightened us thusly:

ah. forgot size. assuming 235/70 section, that doesn't sound far off. Mind, I've never been of the view that the wide pressure differences in the book are a good idea. Our disco on 205 section tyres gets inflated to about

36 all round for normal use, a bit more for high speed if I think of it, and obviously you have to up the rear pressures for heavy loads.

The 110 on 31x10.5 R15 tends to get run at about 34 all round, and the only time I've really had to boost the back ones is with a heavy trailer, taking the back tyres up to about 46 made it snake less. Having said that, I've come to the conclusion that the loading of the trailer was wrong, putting too much weight onto the vehicle; if I end up moving large amounts of hay again, I'll have a go at balancing the load better. towing it behind the disco with the 110 on the trailer, and with the load properly balanced, it showed no real instability, though I didn't go fast, there being no need.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Buy an Ifor Williams!

I sold my single axle 1 tonner the other day for £100 more than I paid for it about 8 years ago! They are a great investment. I now have a twin axle 8X5 2 tonner and it is easy to forget it is there.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

On or around 5 Jan 2004 17:12:25 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

Mine's about 14'6" x 6'8" load bed, the whole trailer is probably about 18' overall and as wide as an artic. Twin axle, and for most purposes it tows fine. 's only ever been a problem with a load of hay on it, and I reckon now that's because if you load it evenly, (which looks like it makes sense) it goes nose-heavy. Next time, if there is a next time, I'll try loading it to get the weight right instead of assuming. 's easy with a vehicle on it, you just winch it 'til it's balanced, then tie it back so it can't come forwards any more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yup, pretty similar to mine (98 Defender 300 TDI). If I keep below

70mph, I get a little better, maybe 24.5mpg, if I go over 70mph, it drops to 22.5-23mpg.

Pat

Pat Bennett From Cheshire in the U.K. snipped-for-privacy@cheshirewildlife.co.uk

Pat Bennett

Seem to be averaging around 29-31 mpg in my 99 300TDi when cruising around

60-65. Anything above that and it drops to 35-27. I always got these figures when using full sulphur dieso but have to use an additive now to keep it there.
Reply to
pl.white