Classic V8 Fuel Consumption.

I'm bewildered to say the least by the difference in fuel consumtion between my two Range Rover V8 Classics.

My auto 3.5 V8 does, on average, between 12 and 17 mpg, no matter what treatment it gets. If it's used on the motorway extensively, cruising at around 70ish it returns somewhere in the region of 17 mpg. Used in town it's around 12. It normally does between 50 and 75 miles for £20.

My manual 3.5 V8 is stupidly good on fuel for a Range Rover; so good that today I filled the tank to the brim this morning, and then brimmed it again this evening. It did 89 miles for £15.12. Which by my reckoning is 26.5 mpg near enough. (98.9 a litre). About 40 miles were on the motorway though, but the urban stuff I was in a proper hurry - fuel consumption was the least of my worries..

The Auto runs cleanly, the emissions are 0.75 co, 200 ppm HC, and something like 10% Co2, it's got a K&N filter (which is about to come off) and a standard exhaust pipe. It's a fair bit slower than the manual, but that's to be expected.

The manual runs virtually identical emissions, pinks a touch more if on cheap fuel, is very slightly tappety, has a standard air filter but has a stainless exhaust (standard manifolds, not a sporty system).

They both appear to run the same injection set up, but the previous keeper of the blue one said something about it having the airflow meter from a 3.9.

Surely it can't be as simple as putting a 3.9 AFM on to get this kind of economy??? I thought the 3.9 used a different injection setup.

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Sat, 13 May 2006 00:14:52 GMT, "Pete M" enlightened us thusly:

the 3.9 is, I think, Hotwire, I don't know if you can fit that AFM to the flapper system but I doubt it. Mind, I don't know if *every* 3.5 injection RR is flapper, 'cos the 3.5 disco V8i is hotwire.

Badger's the chap who knows about these things, ISTR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Pete M" wrote in message news:0y99g.133062$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Thats about the figures I had in Peggy a 3.5 EFi auto. Where I suffered tho was in heavy traffic which due to an unthinking shift change meant I was in the schools traffic flow in the morning mpg solidly into single figures typically around 8mpg at MOT Jim suggested it was running quite lean and I could safely richen up the mixture a bit if performance was suffering . I left as was tho - like my dad always said don't fix it if it isn't broken. Derek

200TDi Disco
Reply to
Derek

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it went something like this;

According to the HBoL some 3.5s are Hotwire, but they're later than this one...

Ahh..

Whereas you're the man with the plan when it comes to LPG. Any idea where I can get help with a half installed Stefanelli LPG system? The auto has a tank, a vaporiser, the switchover switch, and a boot full of random bits, injector emulators and stuff. I don't know if it was ever fully installed, but it looks like it was at some point.

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Sat, 13 May 2006 23:59:38 GMT, "Pete M" enlightened us thusly:

Badger's no slouch on that front either. His disco II is running an OMVL Dream 1N injection system, ISTR.

Yours sounds like someone botched the install and gave up. whereabouts are you?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it went something like this;

Liverpool...

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Sun, 14 May 2006 12:00:25 GMT, "Pete M" enlightened us thusly:

rather a long way from either of us.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it went something like this;