300Tdi Defender cutting out

Had a bit of a weird one on my way home last night. Driving along at around 50 in 4th and the motor died - just as if it had been switched off. Restarted OK after switching off and back on. Happened a total of 4 times in 30mins, 3 times when stopping at junctions.

I'm thinking ignition switch starting to fail, any other suggestions?

Will '98 300Tdi Defender 110 CSW

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

Does the 300tdi have an electric fuel cut off solenoid like the 2.5d?

I'd suspect dodgy wiring somewhere. Either the whole ignition or just the feed to the cut off.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Feed to solenoid valve on fuel pump. My immobiliser developed a fault and I had similar symptoms. In the end I fitted a by pass wire.

David

Reply to
David

That sounds like you might be right - pretty much what happened to my 110 (the only time it's ever let me down, though I did manage to get back to base by holding the the key in just the right position - don't try that at home kids!).

It could also be a loose wire to the fuel cut-off switch on the injector pump.

And....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Fuel solenoid. Happened on my TD.

Reply to
Peter

Will Wilkinson uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Fuel ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Same thing on mine - the connection of the cable to the spade connector had failed at the injector pump. New spade connector, all well agan. Interestingly, I had previously had a problem with the rev counter dying, which again turned out to be cured with new spade connector. In 1997, I don't think they were doing these joins well, and they seem prone to corrosion.

When my engine cut out the first time, it was during overtaking! Almost a brown trouser moment! Graham Carter

Reply to
Graham Carter

In message , Graham Carter writes

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll have a proper look at the wiring in the morning when it's light (and with any luck not chucking it down).

Will '98 300Tdi Defender 110 CSW

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

On or around Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:25:32 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

yes.

so would I. or maybe an iffy cut-off sdolenoid on the pump.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Had a better look & fiddle this morning - it looks like the ignition switch, cut out as soon as I tried to steer, completely off with no dash lights, careful wiggling of the key brought it back to life.

Now just need to get a replacement & fit ASAP, I was supposed to be with a customer 150 miles away today & tomorrow.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson