Wanted: source of drab OG paint

I need a small quantity (a litre? more?) of drag olive green paint, possibly black too, similar to that used on MOD Land-Rovers. It's to paint a high seat

The one I bought
is painted a semi-gloss light grey and stands out like a sore thumb, so toning it down is in order. So, suggestions as to what/whose paint to use and where to get it. I'll be using a brush to apply it. :-)

Reply to
Jonathan Spencer

Anchor supplies ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

In article , Jonathan Spencer writes

Anchor supplies sell the real thing, but in larger quantities.

(you need the hyphen) Otherwise you could probably do worse than mix your own from DIY shed colours (matt emulsion.).

Matt black would almost certainly do the job though, and that's readily available, from auto stores etc...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Try Bill "The Paint Man" he's got what you want.

07790 519955.

He sells this at most LR shows.

Regards, Roy.

Reply to
LR90

I would have a very close look at the label on the tin. If it says something like JWL on it then it isn't the real thing.

Unlikely that you want the IR properties so a local paint shop will be able to mix it for you from one of their swatches or you could get them to colour match, bound ot be somewhere that hasn't faded. I've had paint mixed up before, first place said they weren;t allowed to do it as it was military and special. I went elsewhere and asked for NATO Green. There also seems to be some different shades of green, the newer Wolf's for example. I also have one SIII here that was painted in emulsion whilst in service and it looks awful now. Seems even the guys in the job don't know or care.

I got some from these guys, seems Ok, but I am biased:

I'm guessing that they risk a bollocking from irate customers at the shows they go to if it was crap. Unless you are likely to bump into them and save on postage I'd ask at local motor factors first, nothing to lose.

I just read the OP question, Duh!, I'd be thinking of getting all creative and having a go at a RealTree woodland pattern or using some of the woodland or camouflage tape to break up the straight lines. 20 yds of it here:

Take it to a primary school and let them loose with Autumnal finger paints. Don't forget to sign the artwork, might be in the Tate one day.

All the best

Reply to
wayne

Olive Drab is a BS381c colour and your local paint factor (Autopaint etc etc) should be able to mix you up a litre in either gloss or matt in the solvent of your requirements.

Later MOD landrovers use Nato Green, which is a bit lighter than Olive Drab, which was used by the MOD for many years, before the color was supposedly "standardised" by Nato. I've yet to see two different brands of military spec Nato green that are the same colour.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

With you being a knowledgeable military bod Wayne, do you know of anywhere i can find some examples of 'interesting' military camo patterns?

I want stuff like a the one here

on the 'FV438 Swingfire'.And ive read of a colourful 'berlin brigade' scheme but cant find anydecent pictures.

Reply to
Tom Woods

? Steve

Reply to
Steve

How did i miss that one?! (doh!)

I really want to see a better/bigger picture of that other pattern though!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Its written by Mr Davies too. Sorry Wayne!. Now write me something about that other scheme ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

What you need is a collarge of petrol station logos..... no one will ever see it then.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

:)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Indeed, In fact there are paint factors who supply paint in half-litre tins.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I have a reasonably good book Brasseys Book of Camouflage that comprehensively details the history of camouflage uniforms with plenty of large pages of the patterns and pictures of the uniforms.

The ISBN number is 1 85753 273 2

You library should be able to get one in with that number.

The one I have is paperback and was less than a tenner brand new from a junk book shop, the sort that sell off books that didn't appear to sell very well :) Funnily enough, this thread is probably the third or fourth time I have looked at it since getting it for the Dazzle reference in one chapter.

And as if by magic:

I hope that wrapped, but search ebay for Brasseys and it's there.

All the best

Reply to
wayne

Flattery will get you everywhere but I know little about it really :)

I wondered about that. Googling for "experimental camouflage" gets some interesting hits. You need to tailor the search to miss the modelling and uniform stuff and focus on the armour. But it can explain the rationale behind the thinking.

I remember some footage of a system to "disguise" a large vehicle on the skyline of a hill. It had large lights on it, when lit at the correct brightness it couldn't be seen against the background brightness. Before the days of battlefield radar then :)

Reply to
wayne

Ta Wayne!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hi Group, I would n't get too hung up on the details of painting vehicles to conform with Military fashion. In my army experience (REME) there was the usual flap when the annual vehicle inspection was due. Then anything would do, if the workshop had the equipment they would be sprayed. If not the vehicles were brush painted by anybody with whatever was available. In the Gulf many years ago, only green paint was available so they were painted green with some having sand thrown on to the wet paint - it was very effective. In Germany we were able to spray the vehicles, they were sprayed olive drab, then sprayed in matt black in various places. This gave a gradual fade in from olive drab to matt black. Robert

Reply to
Roberts

paint it to look like a speed camera.. people seem to be able to miss those too

Reply to
Robin

thats true enough I reckon its the yellow - my truck (Merc 7 tonner ) is bright yellow and totally invisible to biddys in little Nissan Micraps , until it blots out the daylight - if the Klingons had used yellow paint Kirk would have never seen em coming Derek

Reply to
Derek