300Tdi Glow plugs

Hi,

My Disco has developed a strange glow plug problem. I will add that it is starting OK without them but? I have just uprated the battery to a 644, but wouldn't have thought this was the cause.

When you turn the key, glowplug light comes on, then goes out, within 1-2 secs. However, if you start the engine let it run for a minute, turn it off then test them again they stay on as normal.

I haven't as yet done any diags on the system, but am I right in assuming that there is faulty plug or relay. It would help if someone as had this before, so I could go straight to the problem.

Help, very much appreciated.

Tim

'96 Disco 300 Tdi

Reply to
Tim

When I got me 300 TDi none of the plugs were working but the light worked as normal i.e. stayed on for the correct length of time. I replaced them all and tie light didn't change so I suspect its you GP relay that is at fault. Mine was a pig to start when cold but it is drive by wire (EDC).

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Hi Tim,

From my reading of the HBOL, the glow plugs are controlled by a timer and a temperature sensor. The light stays on I believe until the temperature is sufficient, and then they stay on for 15 secs afterwards. Sounds like the temp sensor has gone open circuit.

Regards Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

Finally got round to reading the group again. I have ordered some new glow plugs, as I believe they haven't been done for some time.

I will update you all on my findings, eventually and if we have another cold spell here in Cornwall.

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim

My moneys on bad earth. My Disco did it for a while, was also getting a flat battery every 2 weeks or so. But the timer description matches my symptoms exactely. Finally traced it to a bad connection on the earth strap from the engine to the chassis.

If the glowplugs dont work, bear this in mind

Steve

Reply to
Steve Nunn