300tdi soft clutch?

This may be one of those stupid questions. I might not even have a problem at all!

I don't do much in town driving but a few weeks ago I was in town waiting at a roundabout. I put my foot on the clutch and the pedal went almost to the floor before I felt normal resistance. My reaction was that I had a clutch cylinder failure. But for the drive home it behaved perfectly and since then I have wondered if I imagined it.

Then, I went to town again yesterday. Same thing, but this time it happened two or three times so I begin to think it is not my imagination. I have checked the fluid level and it is fine.

Normally, a reasonable pressure is required to depress the clutch pedal. This problem shows itself by the clutch pedal appearing much softer. There is no grinding of gears nor any gear change problem.

Is this senile decay in myself or the first symptoms of clutch cylinder failure in the D90? And, if the latter, which cylinder?

Thanks for your patience!

Derry

1997 300tdi D90 100,000 miles
Reply to
Derry Argue

I drove my brothers Volkswagen van once, and took it from London to Poole. Got to the end of the M3, and no clutch, exactly like you got - pedal to the floor. After a couple of pumps, it started working again. He had not noticed the problem as he rarely drive long distances.

What it was was the seals in the clutch slave cylinder. The fluid wasn't coming out, but was leaking round the piston into the normally "dry" part. Under pressure, it all seemed to correct itself, until the next time.

I have heard of similar symptoms on other cars.

Cheers! Graham Carter

Reply to
Graham Carter

It's the clutch cylinder seal. Believe it or not you can 'cure' it by removing any mats or carpets and really stamping hard on the pedal until it floors maybe a dozen or two times. This is almost guaranteed to work and will give you many more moons of happy clutching. Don't be too gentle with your stamping.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Engine need not be running and gears in neutral of course. Certainly not while driving.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"Huw" wrote in news:42t1pfF1kantmU1 @individual.net:

Thanks, Huw and Graham, that's what I suspected though was hoping it wasn't! But I hadn't heard of your cure before so it doesn't sound urgent.

I had a related problem with my last Pug 504. The clutch disappeared at odd times, once at Drmochter on the A9 (miles from anywhere). The worst time was just after I had just been released from hospital and my brain wasn't working properly.

The clutch packed up on the Kessock Bridge outside Inverness and I had no option but to pay £100 to get the truck transported home....by which time the clutch had (of course!) returned. :( That one turned out to be a leaking connector and I finally sorted it by inserting an "O" ring at the joint, then promptly sold it. Of course, it has been perfect ever since.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

But I hadn't heard of your cure before so it doesn't sound

Well it 'cured ' mine for over two years before it had an external leak. Only needed to do it once, maybe twice during that time.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"Huw" wrote in news:42vbsbF1kk6hoU1 @individual.net:

Been looking at Haynes. I may just change the slave cylinder for peace of mind... I have to pass Dromochter every three weeks or so and do not relish roadside the thought of repairs!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

You don't fancy trying my cure then? It is free! :-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"Huw" wrote in news:43058lF1kj0iaU1 @individual.net:

Oh, but I do! The way I procrastinate, it will take me a couple of years to get around to the job anyway!!

What does concern me is a post I found on Google. Something about some push rod or other disappearing into the bell housing (??) when the slave cylinder is removed necessitating splitting engine and gear box to get it out -- or did I get it wrong again?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

This is a different issue altogether. Should this happen then there would be no alternative to drastic action and the only way home would be to change gear without clutching, which is possible as long as you go slowly and don't stop. It is unrelated to the problem you have and may never happen. Certainly my 84 example is still chugging along happily although it did have a new clutch at some point in the dim and distant past. If you worry about such things you will send yourself to an early grave, so don't.

Huw

Reply to
Huw