90 door switch

I'm toying with the idea of putting a switch on the drivers door of my 90 to operate the interior light. Have new ones got this, if so where is it placed? Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard

I was surprised to find one of these on the drivers door pillar of my 90 (1994, L) when I looked the other day. It's about half way up the vertical lower part of the door pillar and doesn't seem to do anything... Not sure if it is original fitment.

McBad

Later models have the switch on the bulkhead door pillar, about half way between the floor and the bottom of the windscreen.

The wiring on these comes from under the bonnet, feeding it's way into the pillar via a hole inside the wing. The switched themselves are pretty standard door switches that switch to earth so pretty much any after market switch could be used if you don't want to buy the genuine part.

I'm not sure when they were introduced but my 1990 Defender has the hole for the switch in the trim but not in the bulkhead. Mine is an ex-MOD one though so you wouldn't expect them to fit a door switch. (I guess the last thing you want in a military vehicle is something that turns a bloody big light on when you open the door !).

SWMBO's 1998 Defender has the switch - it works too !

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Twas Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:45:10 +0000 (UTC) when Dave White put finger to keyboard producing:

just to narrow the dates down a bit, 1984 110 csw = no switch.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

My 97 110 has the hole and the switch, which works, most of the time.

Reply to
Simon Barr

You need an AFU4142L - it fits into the A post just before the "bend", or waistrail. Fitting it wouldbe just a case of drilling an appropriately sized hole. Wiring is simple, but likely to be a bit of a faff.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

rather than drilling bulkhead pillar, I thought about putting the switch in the bottom half of the dash panel on the side so the switch makes on the door trim? Richard

Reply to
Richard

Certainly easier, I's assumed you wanted it to work on opening the door.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It should work on opening the door. The door trim is very close to the lower dash panel (near where the interior and hazard switches are) so I'm thinking of putting a door switch there. Also, easy to wire up as the light switch is right next to it. Richard

Reply to
Richard