90 DT clutch problem

I have the strangest problem. The clutch pedal all of a sudden did not want to go all the way down and I could not put the LR into gear. I found out that the master cylinder was not causing the problem and I took out the slave cylinder and it seemed ok. But the lever that the slave cylinder pushes onto inside the bell housing seemed to be very far inside.

I not sure how the lever and the release bearing work together so Im not sure if it supposed to come more out as the cylinder releases the pressure on it. Does it travel far to release the clutch or is it only a few millimeters?

As I dont see any problem with the cylinders I would really like to hear speculations on what this could be. I would really like to avoid taking the engine out or messing with the gearbox.

Thanks!

Oli, 1988 90 2.5 DT.

Reply to
Olafur Agust

In message , Olafur Agust writes

My 110 Defender has just done the same. I'm afraid it's the clutch fork that has snapped and the only solution is a new one and entails the gearbox out.

Reply to
Graham Jones

It was the clutch fork that had worn through on the pivot bolt. I had the engine out with a rental engine lift. Took me a few nights. A lot of work to change a little part... :)

Reply to
Olafur Agust

Keep any purchase record you have for the pivot arm. I know of a garage that fitted a new OEM pivot arm that wore through in a week. Therefore you need to go back if the wear is unreasonable.

Reply to
Hirsty's

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Olafur Agust) contains these words:

Reply to