98 disco noisy brakes

just bought a 98 disco and noticed high pitched screech. applying brakes even very lightly makes the noise stop. a few seconds later it starts back up again. sounds like the front left wheel is the source. is there an easy way to stop this noise?

Thanks

Reply to
luneral

Two thoughts.

Check the anti-rattle springs on the brakes (make sure they're there).

Second, draw the pads out of the brakes, put a light smear of copper grease on the back of them (NOT the friction surface) and put the back in again.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

many thanks! I'll check the springs today and get me some of that copper grease if the springs are there. My old Honda Prelude used to make a similar sound and I replaced the pads and used some blue anti-squeak stuff the store recommended and never heard the sound again.

Reply to
luneral

So Paul S. Brown was, like

Good advice, but if these suggestions don't work, check if the disc is worn. I had the same problem with the RR, and the front discs had a lip of about

1mm on the outside where the pads had worn the disc surface away. I reckon the pads were rubbing against this and making a whistling/screeching noise all the time - cured by applying the brakes. New discs and pads solved it. Easy job, but make sure you do both sides.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

I had to replace my discs (96 Disco) it was easy but would have been easier if I could have got hold of a 52mm AF socket for the hub nuts, ended up "addapting" a 18" adjustable, not ideal but it worked.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Check ther rotor thickness, too thin and they can distort with the heat hence causing squeal you should find some data on minimum rotor thickness somewhere if in doubt phone parts at a franchised dealer and ask. Obvious I know but only a smear of copper on rear of pad and care not to contaminate the friction surface with it.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Reply to
the ickys

Cost me about £100 for four new discs, pads and clips etc.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

From memory Rotor thickness should be a minimum of 13mm

Reply to
Simon Mills

If applying anti-rattle measures mentioned in other posts doesn't work, it could be a partially ceased piston. This will show itself by the pads on one side wearing a lot quicker than the other.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Non genuine pads can do this - I solved it by throwing away the cheap pads and biting the bullet and going LR parts again. It's also the only way to get the springs now ;-) (From LR that is....I know some pattern parts come with 'em too)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

I pulled the tires and took a look, all looks well. Springs in place, shoes in good shape, disc in good shape. wear is even all around, discs appear fairly new with no lip. I forgot to get some anti-squeal compound before taking the wheels so I'll try that today and let you know. By the way, it only squeals at highway speeds.

Marc

Reply to
Luneral

In news:%MMid.208988$a85.8312@fed1read04, Luneral blithered:

So drive slower!

Reply to
GbH

I had the breaks checked out by a good and trusted local mechanic. He said the front was all new, but the rear had new pads but the discs/rotors were near limit but had a bit to go before they needed replacing. He said the squeal was the new pads, and since owning it for a month or so now the squeal has become almost non-existant compared to when I first drove it. Mechanic said new pads were probably the cause and since they have worn to the discs it become less noticable.

Man I love this car! But I do miss my old Jeep Cherokee. Something about the Jeep getting me 50 miles into no where (southwestern US desert roads) and back again. I'm sure this winter we will find the Disco to be a good and trusted companion.

Thanks for all the advice. Marc

Reply to
Luneral

So Peter Seddon was, like

Hub nuts? HUB NUTS? It's easier on a P38A, mate! (Wonder how often you can say that!)

Reply to
Richard Brookman