A rumble in the jungle (not quite a front wheel probably!)

On or around 1 Aug 2008 08:21:36 GMT, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

I've always wondered how it takes so long to load a photo, after you click on a link. However, it's not alone in that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 1 Aug 2008 08:26:01 GMT, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

3/8" drive air-ratchet is the dogs for these sort of jobs. You do need a compressor, mind. with that tool, you could probably get an electric rattlegun on it, if your budget stretches to such.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

:-)

Reply to
EMB

Both UJs replaced - not a too bad a job in fact.

Shame it's only made a minor improvement :-(

I've felt the back UJs and they are fine.

Any suggestions?

So far I've ruled out tyre balance, wheel bearing and front UJs

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Is there any reason why (for a short time) I can't drive the 110 without the front propshaft attached?

That will at least let me know if the vibrations are still occurring with it missing that it's not the propshaft at fault. If there's no vibration, I assume I go and get it balanced!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I still think its prop related.

There is normally a small patch welded on to balance it out.

Is this still there?

Id take the front prop off and go for a drive with difflock on - only round the corner and back.

If its still there, you can concentrate on other areas.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Not really ... it's a 'get you home' trick if you're stuffed off-road. Make sure you have the difflock on though ... ;)

It might be cheaper to just get a new one, unless you know of a company who balances them.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Sat, 02 Aug 2008 07:00:51 +0100, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

Is the front prop put together correctly? There are alignment marks on them if you're lucky and can find 'em. Arrows which point at eachother. And it's not supposed to line up like a normal propsahft, there's a funny angle. If I can find a complete one I'll have a look.

Balance issues on my 110 didn't show under about 55-60 mph. And I doubt I did *that* good a job of assembling it that it's not much unbalanced. Admittedly, that's a rear shaft not a front one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I find flickr pretty good, it is webshots that I can't stand, and yet loads of people on my other newsgroups seem to love it. No accounting for taste.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

But you don't know that the prop's the cause, yet.

Take it off first and see if the problem disappears. Then decide where to go next.

When the prop was off did you try waggling the front output yoke on the transfer box? There should be little radial movement.

Reply to
Dougal

Yoke? that's part of the prop, you mean flange maybe?

Reply to
GbH

I've yet to come across a photo hosting site that is not slow and/or a pain to use and/or crawling with scripts and/or adverts. Photobox wasn't bad but the lastest incarnation is the worst of the bunch for scripting overload now.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think it's a matter of whose terminology you use. I'm sure that we all know what we mean!

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Sat, 02 Aug 2008 11:56:54 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

I quite like photo.net, but it's not really the same thing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have a look around for browser plugins for uploading pictures, I know my Flickr use is much better now I've got a firefox plugin for it. I only chose flickr because my phone can upload straight from the camera over the mobile phone network to my flickr page, a nice feature on occasion.

However for the rest of flickr, it could do with improvement, e.g. the moving from one set to another.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I doubt very much that they will be available for Mozilla under OS/2...

Anyway it's not that bit that narks me about these sites but the viewing of other peoples images that they post links to. 30s for the page to render for a 640x480 or smaller image is just bandwidth wasting eye candy or some stupid scripting interface to provide a pleasurable user experience. I don't want an "experience" I want to see the fecking picture!.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Tsk!

Flickr certainly loads quickly on my machine, but I'm not running IBM's failed replacement for Windows 3.11!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

All,

Thanks for the great help once again. But this time it's my younger son Robert (18) who has the wise head on the young shoulders. I was about to take off the front prop (I was convinced the noise/rumble was from the front) when he suggested just jacking up the back end and checking out the rear wheel bearings.

Both wheel bearings were fine, however with the wheel off the ground it became apparent that one tyre had a bulge on the side wall and on the tread. When that was swapped off, the vibration had disappeared.

In the mean time I have learnt how to change the UJs and on his 90 we are learning all about swivel pins!

Sorted!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Which is what I suggested right at the start, I'm wasting my time.

When that was swapped off, the vibration had disappeared.

Reply to
Oily

No you're not! I appreciated all the suggestions. I have learnt that where it may appear to come from is not where it actually comes from.

Us engineers have to find out the hard way....

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter