ABS Light

The ABS light on my J reg (1993) Range Rover is now staying on. It's been a bit tempremental for a little while - the light would usually go out if I stopped and restarted the engine (or flicked the ignition on and off as I was going along).

Any one got any ideas? Is it likely to be a wheel sensor? I've just had a new caliper fitted on the back (and new pads all round) and I think it's only been doing this since then.

Cheers.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Simon,

Sounds like a mis-seated sensor - just check they are all pushed in correctly.

Reply to
The Neffalump

(Did reply before, but it's not appeared)

Thanks for that - I have poked one of them in a bit (or tried) by giving it a whack, but it didn't appear that it wanted to move. Then the skies opened and I came indoors dripping wet :-(

How hard can one hit them?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

I wouldn't hit them too hard the cost a packet to replace. They should be easy to move with a small pry bar. The manual says press them fully home until they are heard to make contact with the sensor ring and they will be knocked back when you drive off. This worked on my disco when I changed a swivell.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

What did you press them in with? I used a socket extension bar and 'tapped' the end (with a small hammer)...

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Once I'd moved it back it just pushed back in with a firm hand pressure and has been OK since (12 Months) I wouldn't have thought so much force was needed.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Cheers Peter,

I think I'd better get it jacked up and have a proper look when the rain stops for more than 3 minutes :-(

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

I was able to pry mine out with a 12" flat blade screwdriver. it wasn't that tight. It went back in with quite a clunk as it hit the sensor wheel but it did the trick.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

That's my plan for tomorrow if the weather is decent, get it up on axle stands and the wheels off so I can see what I'm doing. So far I've just slid underneath and tried from under the car - the access from there isn't that good with the shock absorber in the way.

I've been out and squirted a little plus gas around the sensors in case they are stuck and that should make the job easier. If that's what it is...

Is there any easy way of reading the stored fault code from the ABS?

Cheers for the tips.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Simon> Is there any easy way of reading the stored fault code from Simon> the ABS?

While I don't want to spam the group with advertising, Rovacom Lite is probably the most affordable way of doing this yourself.

for the UK distributor. Andy

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Andy Cunningham | Check out
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |

That looks quite good - but detecting one fault in 5 years probably doesn't means it doesn't make much financial sense to buy it...

Cheerrs for the link though.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Well - I found an easy way to read the fault code(s) from the ABS ECU.

In case anyone wonders how it's done, you just track down the diagnostic connector (under the passenger seat on RHD models) and short the Black and Black/Purple wires. The ABS light then flashes the code for the fault. If there is more than one fault you have to read that fault, then disconnect shorting wire, then reconnect it. The light will then flash the next fault (if there is one).

Mine had 3 stored faults - none to do with the air gap, all to do with wiring faults. I cleared them and it was fine for a day - today it's just come back on and it's telling me it's the relay - so I'll try a new one I think.

The fault codes are here

Simon Atkinson

On or around 16 Aug 2004 14:13:12 GMT, "Simon Atkinson" enlightened us thusly:

ooer. I wonder if there are simialr systems on the Ford. Seeing as no bugger bought it, maybe I'll get around to fixing the ABS one day.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Looks like it's pretty standard - look for an unused connector with 4 or more wires, of which one wire is black and one black/purple.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

On or around 16 Aug 2004 21:41:42 GMT, "Simon Atkinson" enlightened us thusly:

Trouble is, it could be anywhere on the car :-) Logically, it should be somewhere near the brake gubbins, I suppose.

Reply to
Austin Shackles