advice on fan

on my b reg 90, the guy i got it off has installed a range rover electric fan - seems to work fine, except for when i'm trying to start it after a long run. I'm presuming the fan kicks in while i'm trying to start the engine, for that "flat battery" effect until the engine has cooled down enough that its not starting the fan at the same time as trying to start the engine. Not pleasant when for example just filled up with petrol, or stalled in the middle of the north circular (oops!) as you sit there for 5 minutes waiting for it to start.

The wiring is a little bit of a nightmare, so i'm keen to add something rather than try and correct it - but any ideas? i was thinking either a simple fan cutoff switch (obviously could only use when it wasn't running if no relay, but as long as i remembered to switch it off before starting), or maybe a little more adventerously, a relay wired normally closed, with the ignition point feeding the trigger...any better/simpler/easier ideas gratefully recieved.

cheers

Rob

Reply to
rob

The wiring should be quite straight forward, is the nightmare the condition or a jumble?

Put a switch in line to cut the feed to the relay... if your a smart cookie I'd consider wiring this switch to a buzzer that always buzzes when the fan is switched off.. either that or a really irritating light. So you can switch off to start then back on.

To be honest though if your electrics won't start the engine even with the fn going then I'd be looking at why, not how to cheat it.

Lee D

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

*NODS*

cheers - currently investigating why the fan is running when i'm trying to start it - as i dont think it should be? maybe something as simple as wired to wrong ignition point....will spend some time seeing if i can figure this one out, but may need switch workround in the meantime (good excuse for a 15 minute break at every service station though ;) )

Reply to
rob