Alternator output

I've finally got the new Magneti-Marelli A127-65 alternator fitted after a long delay in getting hold of a pulley. (The pulley on the old Lucas unit had a smaller diameter shaft and I don't have facilities to re-work it) The wiring needed modification but it's all done now.

I'm seeing between +13.9 - +14.02volts at the battery with the engine running - is this normal? Should it not be approx. +14.6v? It's a brand new alternator.

The ignition warning light extinguishes properly, so I'm assuming I've wired it all correctly. If it were wrong the light wouldn't behave properly, would it - anyone?

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
CJ

On or around Mon, 5 Apr 2004 13:59:57 +0100, "CJ" enlightened us thusly:

newer alternators seem to tend to be lower voltage. I think the regulation has gotten better. I'm assuming you're checking it a around 2000 engine revs with no notable ancilliaries operating.

is your voltmeter known to be accurate, BTW...

some of the old lucas alternators with onboard regulators could run over

15V, but that's rather a lot for a 12V lead-acid. full charged is 13.8V, ISTR, but most cars seem to run less than that - I've rarely had one where the battery voltage is over 13.5V, often less.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

A normal lead acid battery is fully charged at 13.8V but will start to gas off if charged at voltages above 14.4V so Iwould expect to see the output to be between 13.8 to 14.4V

Peter

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Yes

Yes

Thanks a lot. Yes, the voltmeter is known to be accurate. It makes me wonder whether the alternator I just fitted to herself's Citroen 2cv is overdoing it, voltage wise - getting in the high 14's. Old alternator, though.

Thaks again,

Chris

Reply to
CJ