Alternator rebuild ???

'96/'97 Disco 300 Tdi, Alternator's making a hell of a noise. Thought it was waterpump or wp bearing, but changed belts today and found it to be alternator .. pulley shaft moves about 1/4" in any direction ... ;)

So the question(s) is, in order of my preference for fixing this ...

Can I replace the bearings in it? If so does anyone know what size/part No they might be?

If I can't I guess I need to find a local motor rewinds company, or source a new alternator. So does anyone know of any decent companies, even if it's by mail/parcelpost etc?

This being a Landrover I'd rather fix it myself than give it to some oik ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

In article , Paul - xxx writes

Get an exchange recon unit. Unless it's so badly damaged it's worthless, that's a viable alternative.

65A ones used to net out at about 45-50 quid.
Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

You can easily replace the bearings in it, usually just the drive end bearing which takes all the stick but I can't remember the number, possibly

6202, and less than a fiver.

Reply to
Oily

On or around Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:46:14 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

they can be a complete tart to get apart though.

If it'll come apart easily, it might be worth changing the bearings, but otherwise, recon unit.

try partco or similar, if none of the ususal suspects have one at a decetn price.

It'll be a 100A one and therefore expensive, unfortunately.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Been asking round and recon are ~?40 / ?50 when a new one is ~ ?80 ... we think we'll go for a new one at that ... ;)

Then have a play with the old one and see about replacing bearings. Can't afford the time to try replacing them only to find summat else is wrong, say a worn bearing housing, and then have to replace it anyway, we need the disco this weekend.

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciated.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Hi Paul

Your bearing cage has failed! - I replaced the bearings in the alternator on my 96 Disco - a good few hours work & you'll need to unsolder & resolder 6 wires from the field windings to get it apart. I'll talk you through it if you want, If you're not feeling brave then best deal is MM 4x4 Nr Worcester =A379 new non exchange

Rgeards

Tony Hackett

Reply to
Tony