IRS Stub Axle Assembly

I have removed the stub axles and bearings to refresh them with grease and just to check on their status. I bought the kits that have the seals, backing plate gaskets, flat washer and O-Rings. I have the spacer and bearing assembly figured out but am not sure where the O-Rings and flat washer go and not even sure if they do go on the IRS stub axles or are they only used with the swing axle configuration. The only place I can figure that they go are, large O-Ring goes around the (outside) roller bearing, the washer goes against the (outside) spacer, the small O-Ring then goes against the flat washer. Can someone verify that this is the correct placement of these parts or is this a universal kit of some kind that can be used for IRS and Swing Axle units and the O-Rings and Washer isn't needed for the IRS since they were not there when disassembled. Sorry for being long winded but wanted to try and be specific on the question. Appreciate the help.

Mike Cross

71 Superbeetle 70 Standard

Photos of progress are located at:

Mike Cross

Go to the Mechanical section of my web site for "How-to" along with pics and P/N's. Sounds like you may have the wrong kit.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim, I double checked the kit and it is listed for several different years and models. Maybe if I don't use the flat washer and small O-Ring it will be okay. The picture on your site shows the larger O-Ring but not the smaller one or the flat washer, however the picture you have for the swing axle does show those two parts, which leads me to believe the kits I have are for either and all parts are not needed for the IRS.