alternator, split charge etc.

I've fitted a new alternator (was almost a year ago now) It has the usual terminals on the back and one for a rev counter.

I'm thinking of using a relay to split-charge to a second battery (for lighting and other gubbins).

Question is, is there a connection I can use that is only live when the engine is running? so I can use this to trigger the charge relay.

I don't mean an ignition live as this is live before the engine is started.

Second question, Most relays I see around are 30 or 40amp. will this be suitable for a split charge relay with a 65amp alternator? Logic tells me to use a 65amp or more relay.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Check out

for a split charge relay, they trigger on rising voltage and put a charge to a stand by battery when the system volts rise above 13, ie when the main battery is charging. ( SMARTCOM RELAY £10.95

  • P & P)

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Thanks, I'll 'ave one of them....

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Thanks for the diagram. I'm going to try one of those smartcom devices another poster suggested, I'll keep a coply of your diagram incase I need it.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I have a system installed which uses a small relay to operate a high amp relay called a "Coil Hersey" relay which is very reliable. the coil is made in USA.

Reply to
jamsan

see this wiring system that I have and works fine.

jamsan