Anti-Roll Bars

'96/97 Disco 300 Tdi.

Currently (trying to) change springs, having a few problems but nothing insurmountable, I hope. :)

Anyway, while under the Disco I got to thinking that we're currently happy with the road-holding of the Disco and still tow the caravan every odd weekends, we now mostly use it for off-roading and green-laning. To enable this and to add further (already damn good, IMHO) off-road ability and reliabilty we're thinking of removing the ARB's.

Rationale is ... they hang down quite a bit and are often being simply dragged through mud and rocks, there are noticeable gouges and dents in the ARB itself. If we removed them we think this'd increase the 'droop' of the axles at full articulation. We also think it may produce a 'softer' ride, especially at low speeds.

Only down side we can see is that the road holding might be compromised slightly, but most (if not all?) 200Tdi's did fine without them and there's little difference between chassis, right?. Frankly I doubt we'd notice ... BUT ...

Has anyone done this to a 300 Disco? Did you actually notice any difference at normal road speeds, whilst towing or off-roading?

Am I just talking bollocks? or does the above sound like good reasoning, or at least good enough to remove them?

I guess I could always put 'em back on if we were unhappy with them off. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Can you not just remove one of the links to the axle from one side and take it for a tootle on the roads and see what you think? If it's that easy (I've never seen them up close so don't know for sure) then you could rely on your own judgement and preferences, rather than finding out that one person's idea of "fine" is your idea of "seasickness hell" ;-)

I don't think I'd try it off-road with one end disconnected though, might get caught and pulled back.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings