Anti Roll Bars

I've just been driving a loaner Disco 200 and it's been fitted with what looks like a 2" lift, Monroe gas dampers and a full front and back anti roll set and was wondering what anti-roll bars will do to its offroad ability - I'm guessing that they would limit the suspension travel quite badly and negate any benefit from the lift.

Any opinions on this? It's something I'm looking at for my own Disco as this thing is rather a lot less twitchy on the road than mine is, but I don't want to spend a lot of money for something that can't work offroad.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

That's what I had on my last Disco and it seemed to work fine. You're right that the ARBs limit the suspension travel, but you do get other benefits from the lift such as better departure and breakover angles, etc. The ARBs also help counter the extra roll you'd expect from the higher CoG, but if you go for something like Old Man Emu springs that'll help limit this anyway, just because the springs are firmer.

If you really want to avoid a compromise, you can get devices that let you de-couple your anti-roll bars manually when you want to go offroad, and then hook them back in when you're driving home.

David

Reply to
David French