ATT: Mother and all

Not in first release (the one on floppy) Win 95. That came with "Internet News and Mail" which was a piece of pre-alpha code acquired from taking over Siemens irish software operations and released without ever going gold.

This formed the basis for Outlook(Express) but wasn't it itself.

Also, Win 1.0 doesn't have OU, Win 2.0 doesn't have OE, Win 3.0 doesn't have OE, Win 3.1 doesn't have OE, Win 3.11 doesn't have OE, WinNT 3.0 doesn't have OE, WinNT3.5 doesn't have OE, first release WinNT 4.0 doesn't have OE.

IE was also addon code for just about every install of Windows prior to WinNT4 release 2.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I've never had one!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

in article c11sgk$1cr1qj$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-206531.news.uni-berlin.de, Megalowmania at snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote on 19/2/04 8:29 am:

I have to admit to usung Outlook but on a Macintosh machine, but that's because I've not completely got round to sorting out newsgroups on the e-mail included with Safari yet.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Mother"

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:53:20 +0000, Alex enlightened us thusly:

yes it is, and it's not that easy to remove, either. whinges that things won't work. easier to remove than IE, which ISTR you can't remove from 9x onwards without buggering the whole thing.

this is also true. Besides, in my case, for example, it'd have to ask permission to connect, which wouldn't be forthcoming.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:40:21 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:55:59 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

worked fine once I'd got a connection. WTF is an LAPD link, apart from a connection to californian dibbles?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles posted ...

True enough .. ;)

IMHO all the OE default security options should be about face and ought to need turning on to work .. It'd halt a shit-load of viruses being distributed by people with little idea of how things work ..

Actually, I told a lie .. I _have_ had viruses, but they were self-induced on a spare computer for 'research' reasons .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

No it isn't.

It _is_ installed in newer OEM/Retail versions (Paul gave a far better historical perspective), but it will hardly ever be configured (I guess a few ISPs may use IEAK to brand IE/OE, but I'd reckon it's pretty rare). Many corporate and enterprise installs and images remove it altogether. My standard Ghost images for any NT deployment don't have OE - neither will they ever have so long as there's a way around it. Even if we had a lot of office machines with XP I'd break the fingers of anyone found putting smtp or pop3 details anywhere near ANY Micciesoft product...

Looking through our support logs, over 90 percent of all email problems are related to OE/O - the rest are usually down to AV software changing the POP3 server to 127.0.0.1 then falling over...

Windows - well, any Micciesoft products, essentially, are badly written pre-beta releases which should never have seen the light of day. They are shit.

(Yes, I've had a day full of M$ caused problems - the fixing of which I do not get paid for by Billy-Goat-Gates&Co.)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:23:54 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I was talking about more recent versions, such as 98 and XP. dunno about

2000/NT types, never had one.

reminds me, must remove it from this'n, see what if anything falls over, although it's not configured so a minor risk.

trying out Outpost Firewall SW at the moment, it picked up and odd incoming request this morning.

what's UDP, when it's at home, and what's SVChost running that expects to get an incoming connection from somewhere I've never heard of...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:51:25 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

I had one once, but that was due to opening a suspicious mail to see what it was before updating the AV... ooops :-)

since OE isn't configured on this machine, it didn;t get far, and gave itself away nicely by trying, 'cos the firewall popped up a thing saying "OE is requesting an internet connection"...

Reply to
Austin Shackles