Grease for swivelpin house

Hello All, Does anyone has a long time expirence with the special grease for the swivelpinhouses? Because off some oil leakage I want to try it for a solution, it maybe save a lot off work. Thanks. Ruud ( Holland )

Reply to
JOKE EN RUUD MUSTE

It is good.

Have been running my 200Tdi Discos with it for more than 2 years now and it appears to be doing a very good job.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Do you mean 'one shot' grease?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Yes that's what I mean. "Mother" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
JOKE EN RUUD MUSTE

Well some people think it is very good and have had good results.

My feeling is slightly more cautious. When there is a leak, I can know that something needs fixing. This must be because there is a hole for it to leak out. With 'one shot' there may still be a hole and the hole may let other stuff 'in'... I do not think this is as very serious as I may make it sound, but it is my concern, especially as my balls are welded ;-)

Groetjes!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:35:23 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

too much information!

but seriously...

one-shot grease appears to be very good, but... if it leaks now, it'll still leak with the grease in it, just not so much. when warm, the grease goes semi-fluid (by design) and so will seep out through dodgy swivel seals.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What I've always wondered is when and how do you replace it? With oil it's easy to drain and top up etc but with the grease???

Knowing me I've probably missed the obvious. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

/install sun glasses

It's called "one shot" because you only have to put it in once ... it doesn't need replacing - well that's what they say ;-)

/remove sun glasses

LOL Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

I use G70 Nulon and that stops the leak, it is also by about 300% a better lubricant. Frank

: >> -- : >What I've always wondered is when and how do you replace it? With oil it's : >easy to drain and top up etc but with the grease??? : >

: >Knowing me I've probably missed the obvious. :-) : : /install sun glasses : : It's called "one shot" because you only have to put it in once ... it : doesn't need replacing - well that's what they say ;-) : : /remove sun glasses : : LOL : Steve G

Reply to
thesnowbaron

Where do you get the Nulon G70? Sounds as if it could be a better bet all round?

David Def 90 TD5

Reply to
David

Hi Can you learn me (us)more about G70? Ruud "thesnowbaron" schreef in bericht news:bu4s2m$dujmb$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-174656.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
JOKE EN RUUD MUSTE

But how do you replace the one shot grease if it gets contaminated whilst playing in the gloopy stuff? Also i can`t believe a grease will retain its lubricating properties 50K miles after its first application, so i`d like to change mine.

Nick C

Reply to
Nick C

1) Top up swivel pin housing with parafin, leg it up a motorway, do a few 3 point turns. Either the grease will liquify and drain out or you'll knacker your swivels for good. 2) Blowlamp and hoover (or vaccum cleaner for guests from alt.fan.electrolux) attached to the drain plug. Suck it all out 3) Alternatively, just top up for a year using EP90 (40?). This is what I did before I noticed the "one shot grease has been applied" sticker under the bonnet. Seemed to work quite well.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

Ah! So I'm not the only one that thinks like that. A minority of two Nick. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

So the oil liquefied/dissolved the grease then?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I did this for about 10 miles before all the EP90 leaked out again. :( Cost me a new set of brake pads too.

There's a reason they changed to grease...

Reply to
David French

Yep, it seemed to have done. I had never heard of One Shot Grease, and had a Haynes manual which said "top 'em up with oil". I did this for a year before I saw the stickers. Each took a new sachet of one shot without coming out of the level hole. I had the OSG pretty hot, which helped. Boiling water for 5 mins. Came out of the sachet like oil, went in the swivel housing like a dream..........

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

Is there a way to see wether it's grease or oil ? I had to change my front brake discs and wonder if I can unmount them whithout emptying the swiwelpin house (1983 4 speed Range Rover)

Michael.

Reply to
Michel Wurtz

You could dip them from the filler hole. Either that or take the drain plug out and shove it back in sharpish if EP90 comes out.

Reply to
David French

On or around Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:56:20 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

'course, if nothing come out, you still don't know it's not just empty.

fishing a bit of wire into the filler hole would be my bet too. one-shot is grey greasy stuff.

Reply to
Austin Shackles