Back from Wales

And here are the pictures

4WD and snow are not always a perfect combination as I lostcontrol coming round the bend on one particular downhill stretch and endedup stuck in a hedge. The stump of the bush was wedged under my front wheel and inspite of cutting it (the stump) it remained as obstinate as any wheel chock so I had to get recovery out to lift me off the obstacle so I could reverse out of it.

Whats more the hedge owner is probably going to want me to pay for the damage to the hedge :(

No damage to speak of to the landie though,

Reply to
Larry

Some nice photos there as always, shame about the hedge though ;o)

I'm off to north wales in March, will be based at a place called CefnMawr, if you have any local knowlage of that area and west of it I'll be looking for some local lanes and such to potter around.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I see the Welsh ahve a different way of spelling suspension brifge (Menai Supsension Bridge) 8-)

How the heck to you blokes put up with snow? Soggy shoes (although I note you are barefooted in one of then pix), wet clothes, rain, sleet, mist, cold. And that's inside the bloody Series Landy of all things!!

Gawd, it must be awful when you get out of the car!

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia snug as a bug in a rug in a 1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8

Reply to
The Becketts

that picture of the stone dam is very dramatic. You should get it framed and enter it in som competitions.

Glad you are alright and have returned.

Reply to
dobey the elf

You are not wrong there, getting inside on a cold morning is like climbing inside a refrigerator., to think I gave up a limo for this.

Reply to
Larry

In a previos incarnation I remember one Christmas coming back from Stoke on Trent on a Lambretta scooter, my coat was icing up :( one bonus though it was faster than my landie.

Reply to
Larry

I think that often with series landies the weather condidtions are worse inside the car! You can go out there on a sunny morning. If it has rained or snowed in the night it will be wet inside and continue to drip on your head until it dries out (never at this time of year), even if it is dry outside! Ive just driven home and had to keep stopping to clean the ice off my windscreen. The worst of it was on the inside (I found that I had to be careful to not breathe through my mouth as my breath would freeze the screen up quicker). Also, on cold calm days, you get half frozen whiule driving by the drafts. Its colder than walking outside!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I've had my Discovery for almost 3 years, after driving Series IIIs for 11 years, and I still can't use to being able to take my coat and woolly hat off when I get in the car!

Also, my doors haven't frozen shut yet.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

The half inch gap between the door and the rubber seal on the body stops mine from freezing shut :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ha ha! I've just remembered that feeling that today will be the day when the door top finally falls off! (And next time I need to replace the doortop of a Series Landy, I must remember to get one that's already glazed. How can such an apparently simple job take so flippin' long?! And I'll get the plastic window channel next time, too!)

Judith

Reply to
Judith

I actually did the door top (using a glazed one after i reglazed an old one and it took hours and then only lasted a few months before the top fell apart) but my top door hinge is worn out now and it doesnt sit straight.

To make it worse the nuts that hold the hinge on arnt captive ones, and i put them on with the bulkhead off the car and then turned upside down and using a spanner on a bit of string! - so i need to grind the old ones off and weld some captive ones on :(

Reply to
Tom Woods

How do you manage that? Mind it's only the handle that has fozen solid so far not around the seals.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I liked the mountain pictures and repaid a few visits into your electrical pylon picture stash. I also found out about your burglary...sorry about that. (I have also read the tribute to Mary Arnold, saw you playing flute at an outdoor event and the cats :>)

Hylander

Perhaps I've just been lucky!

Reply to
Judith

The captives are fastened to a metal clip and slide on the door pillar through the larger square hole, a bit like a paperclip with a nut welded on to them. So the good news is once you've drilled the old ones off the new ones should be a doddle to fit with just a screwdriver. Welder can stay in the garage.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Nice pix. I get panicky if I'm that far from civilization; always paranoid my car will break down and I'll get dehydrated and nobody will find me. Just got back from Mickeytown with the kid. Didn't run into any lemmings while we were away. Was nice to get away and I've all of a sudden gotten inspired to get my place cleaned up(way too much clutter though not close to being squalor). All of a sudden it seems overwhelming too. I don't know what I was doing wasting all my time not getting more done. We'll see if I succeed. ares

Reply to
ares

It has to be said Larry that you know how to use a camera! Although perhaps Landy driving skills will come with time ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yeah, I'm always wondering, who's taking the ones of him? ares

Reply to
ares