Freelander?

I'm thinking of buying a Land Rover Freelander, a 2000 modell, but a lot of people tell me to buy something else like a Honda C-RV or Toyota RAV-4. They claim that the Freelander is a shit car and that I will be very dissapointed.

I need a car that can pull two horses and drive well on roads in the forest (offroad nearly). I thought this car was the best car for this use. I was so dissapointed when all I heard was that it was not worth buying.

What about a 2001 modell? I know they have made some adjustments on that modell.

Camilla

Reply to
Camilla Carcary

I have a RAV4 for sale :)

Reply to
wayne

skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I live in Norway ;-)

Camilla

Reply to
Camilla Carcary

Reply to
Gordoni

It doesn't make you a bad person! ;o) Besides Wayne can surely bung it on a Ferry along with the Lada's which were exporting back home in that general direction :o)

Wayne's optional extras will include a bonnet mounted gatting gun, in Cerise, as a incentive too.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Gordon,

Do you hump much with it? As in Caravan/Horse box? I've seen plenty of Freelanders on the Tour of France and Spain towing large Caravans, wonder how they would compare to the likes of my 1997 ES Disco.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I sued LR because my FL was a piece of crap. Coolant leak that they couldn't fix. I won. They paid me cash and my atty's fees. Thank God that piece of S*&# is long gone...

Reply to
TheXXFiles

In our experience and the experiences of many other Freelander owners, they are the best of British Un-reliability. There is always something going wrong with our Freelander and even the newer TD4's are also showing their British heritage in the form of problems.

THere are various Freelander forums on the net where you can see what they are like.

is the best forum for Freelanders Get a Japenese vehicle, we have had virtuaqlly no problems with any Japenese vehicle that we have owned.

Stevesub

2001 V6 Freelander
Reply to
Stevesub

If you're towing two horses (in a trailer I assume!) then the C-RV and RAV-4 are pretty much exacty what you don't need. Freelanders - well some are great and give no problems, others seem to be bug ridden.

Two horses and trailer is getting pretty close to 2 Tonnes, the Freelanders max towing weight. If it was just the one then fine, but perhaps a Discovery or Defender might be a better bet if possible.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

My next door neighbour has a Freelander and I have an ageing Discovery V8. He tows a caravan but really knows when it is on the back, steep hill starts can be a bit of a clutch event. I tow a 2-3 ton trailer all over the place and the Discovery just eats the miles as if there was nothing behind me (well ok, a slight exageration). If you plan to tow a trailer with two horses I really think you should be looking for something a bit bigger than a Freelander. After 145,000 miles my Disco will still do 0-60mph in 20 seconds with 2 tons of trailer. Oh, and always get a 4 wheel trailer. Much better behaved, especially if you get a blowout at 80mph fully loaded. A complete non-event (apart from the noise and shredded rubber). One last thing, My Disco has an automatic gearbox. I really would not consider anything else, can't really fault it, and I really do work it very hard. Also must have air con.

Pulling away on a really steep uphill gradient fully loaded is one good test, no problem with Disco V8i 3.9 ES. The other big test is stability. Overtaking a lorry at speed, going downhill and being hit by the lorry slipstream can make a trailer swing and start oscilating. Terrifying and I do mean utterly terrifying!!, if you try and slow down it gets worse, you need to accelerate to straighten things up or pray for the road to start going uphill. In the Disco / Trailer combination it is rock solid, you can throw it around all over the place at any speed and the trailer follows like a puppy dog (4 wheel Ifor Williams). I nearly killed myself towing a smaller trailer behind a Montego Estate car, started weaving from side to side on the M25 at just 55mp on a downhill stretch, I was swerving pretty much out of control across all 4 lanes and the hard shoulder, with the car being picked up and dumped from side to side by the trailer, a serious underpant moment! Towing is a pretty damn serious thing to be doing, and two horses in a trailer are not only heavy but they have a habit of shifting their weight in transit. Get a big and powerful tow car. Live with the fuel consumption or get a gas conversion, a few hundred pounds per year extra in petrol bills is worth it, and so what if Holland sinks and Ely becomes an island again, I will be able to buy a boat and not travel so far to the sea! Bring on global warming, it has little to do with us anyway, the heat output of the sun is increasing, politicians are just using it as an excuse to hit us with more taxes.... but that is for another forum.

Les

Reply to
Dadio

So, what happened to the 60mph speed limit when towing a trailer then?

Reply to
SteveG

Won't hold that against you, you need a thick skin to drive a RAV in this group anyway :)

Reply to
wayne

Sorry but I love my Freelander TD4 Sport, no problems at all, second one owned, fantastic off road ability and looks the dog bo**cks in my opinion!!!!!!

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

Me too......

I have a '2000' V6 Freelander, had slight teething problems (starter motor + water hose) but, it's a superb drive, the auto gearbox (steptronic) is excellent.

The test came when we had deep snow up here in the hills last winter, what a car, I'm pleased I bought my Freelander, I was one of the few that got home safely!

Brian (Huddersfield)

Reply to
Horse.trader

A bit of trouble with the right foot, you know how it can be sometimes..... Places to go, people to see, open roads ......

Trailer tyre pressures are pretty critical, 65psi in my case, let it drop too much (45psi) and blowouts are inevitable.

Les

Reply to
Dadio

On 2005-08-28, SteveG

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Reply to
Danny

Read my signature!!! Used to have a Td4 5dr manaual. Was a great towcar on the few days it worked!!! No problems pulling a 1500Kg

6-berth caravan. Build quality was absolute crap. Went back to dealer 39 times in ten months. By the time I got rid of it I was on first name terms with everyone at the dealership and the car had become a joke. 3 faulty steering racks. Faulty steering cassette. Leaking sunroof. Faulty ignition. Faulty immobiliser. Blown turbo. Ripped turbo hose. These are just a few of the many, many faults. I got to see the labour and parts prices put against the warranty. It ran close to £7,000.00 for the 10 months I owned the vehicle.

I still love Land Rovers, especially my 90. But the everyday ride and tow vehicle that the Freelander was supposed to be has been replaced by a Jeep Cherokee Ltd 2.8 CRD Auto. Just used it to tow my caravan to the South of France and back, which it did with ease. I tried the same thing with the Freelander last year and ended up coming home on the back of a recovery truck courtesy of Land Rover Assistance.

I even looked into buying a Discovery II, but my wife was very annoyed with the crap and discourteous Land Rover dealership. This coupled with the fact that the same price used Cherokee was better equipped, more powerful and produces more torque (better for towing) made it a no brainer. The Warranty and Assistance is also identical to Land Rovers.

I personally would never have another Freelander unless it was a company vehicle that I didn't have to care about.

Cheers, Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

You seem to have had bad luck - other posters appear to be quite content with their Freelanders. Judging by customers experiences the vehicles reputation is far worse than the reality, in most cases. Interestingly, the most unreliable part by far is the window lift motor/cable assembly, made by...... VW. Says a lot about peoples perception of quality....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yep, agree with all of that. My real point was that whatever I do with the Discovery / trailer combination is that it is rock solid. No issues at all. The most stable setup I have ever towed with.

Les

Reply to
Dadio