'Barn Finds' - do they exist anymore???

I don't know if i'm alone in my sentiments here but it doesn;t seem that long ago that old Landrovers were all over the place. It seems like you couldn't let a week go by without hearing about or seeing a old Landy 'at rest' somewhere (ie, in a hedge). I remember going to see a barn full of series 1s, 2s and 3s in a local farm years ago, the farmer simply bought a new one every few years and pushed the outgoing one into the barn. They were all there in reverse chronological order! Right down to a little 1952 series one right at the back. I don't know what happened, I must have missed it but all the original finds are gone, and they appear on the second hand market with a dodgy paint job with an equally dodgy price..... Perhaps its the Indiana Jones in me that wants to cut back the undergrowth and bring a series one back from the wilderness. Or perhaps it's the Alf Garnet in me that makes me a grumpy bugger who should concentrate on finding a good one instead of moaning.

So, what do u think, is it me, or have they all dissapeared............

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Dave Reynolds vaguely muttered something like ...

Nope .. I'm in 'negotiations' for a couple of S3's and a 101, exactly as you describe ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Not at all. I know of at least 8 x 101s (probably the rarest of Landies now), 4 x S1s, a good few S2s and countless S3s which are currently en situ as you describe :-)

Reply to
Mother

Were I to tuck my Landie into a barn they might because sitting on the road she looks like she just come out of one :)

Reply to
Larry

May I be amongst the first to welcome you to, etc... :-)

Now, you mentioned an old motorcycle I believe???

Reply to
Mother

Mother"

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Ah, I _know_ what that's like. I was recently stuck well in the middle of a family (mine) who were doing the same. I offered to pay them all off, which they were initially happy with. Then they got suspicious and thought they could get more by letting a _bank_ sort the probate. Course, they all ended up getting much less that way. Fuckem is all I can say. I'm currently letting them carry on threatening each other and have cut myself out of the loop. Life's to short.

Reply to
Mother

Mother"

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thats how I got my new baby (1979 series 3 diesel LWB)

guy that had worked on a farm acquired his then decided he didnt have time for it so gave it to me (free....!) when I expressed an interest. worst bit was when I went to pick it up he told me how the farm where it had come from had another 2 and loadsa parts up there. when I investigated was told you shoulda been here last week wanted to make some space so we buried it all !!!!!!

I mean Im a true rookie to this whole Landy thing but I was still upset I didnt even get invited to the wake

Reply to
tsunami

Hey Dave - here's a lovely original example for you.

You always said you wanted a Series I trialler.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Hey, thats not bad! I could live with something like that, might need a spare if i roll over again with as much enthusiasm as i did today. I hope someone got some pics! My head still hurts.

I've got a couple of leads to follow up this week, had my scouts out.

1.) The '49er in bits in 3 parts of the county, but i like a challenge 2.)The one I told u about which is the "all original" one I was told about, and then told it had a V8, and series 3 running gear. 3.) Another which is a nut and bolt job i think.

Feel free to come along if you like, now you're a series "boffin". I'm not going to have any of the vehicles unless they're a challenge to recover and restore!

Then we're going to have to think about forming a leafers club or something. y'know..... flat caps, flasks of coffee, the lot i'm well up for it, what do you think?

Dave

P.S. I'm now convinced that barn finds so exist i've just realised that i'm getting older and they're now series 2s and 3s as opposed to

1s. I'm only 30 for Chrissakes. Ho-hum
Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Not as much as mine does from laughing ;-) Epic manoeuvre. And when your "moment" happened, there were so many cameras about I though Posh 'n' Becks had arrived. Keep watching

Seriues owner for three weeks. I think boffinhood comes in about 20 years from now. But I'm up for a challenge too.

Aye, 'appen that's a grand idea young feller-me-lad. Flasks of *tea*, though.

Tis the passage of time. One day you'll be as old as me and regretting all the things (and people) you didn't do while you had the chance.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Not much chance of that. Changing jobs in a couple of weeks. HAs the potential for some high class totty. I'll tell you all the details when I see you. Going to give myself a weeks holiday to get the new Tdi in the 90 and to try and bolt the trialler back together in time to trash it again in Strumble. Are you going?

And were you really laughing at me? Not nice. Your time will come!

Actually the rolling over wasnt that bad. Just scary how fine the line is between "oh, this isn't too bad a side slope" and "holy s*&t we're going over". The memory of Bobby standing on my head to get out will live with me for a long time to come!

Dave Reynolds

Dave Reynolds wrote: HAs the

Do Landrovers and high class totty go together then ? Apart from my beloved -wife-who-is-reading-this-as-I-type....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Yep - your wife, my wife (who has taken my Series to work today despite me wanting to use it), and my late mother (high class totty in her day) who bought a brand new Series in about 1959, and owned one right up until she died.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:14:12 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I'm definitely living in the wrong part of the world, then... never noticed much HCT driving LRs around here.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Depends which newsgroup.

Here in alt.fan.landrover, yes. In alt.fan.big-fat-mommas the definition is rather different.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Thats because HCT in your part of the world are sheep.

David

Reply to
rads

Take coat and spacesuit - new planet for you me lad.....sheep jokes at the expense of the Welsh are pretty low, and us from the antipodes don't take them very well either. :-)

Reply to
EMB

I trust you did not target this at the female members of a.f.l?

My experiences are thus:

Slim leggy blond student down the road = HCT Slim petite blond plod here last week = HCT Charlotte = HCT Most of the wives/partners/girlfriends/significantothers of those I've met from a.f.l = HCT Most of the female posters I've met from a.f.l = HCT ('cept of course for Nikki. She's just a Babe!) :-)

You really wouldn't believe the effect a 4 tonne purple 101 can have on a girl... Hmm...

Reply to
Mother