'Barn Finds' - do they exist anymore???

Oh no, I know you take your relations seriously. :@)

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Perhaps you just have low standards for totty?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Or a pink LWB SIIa...

Maybe the girls don't feel threatened by the driver of a purple or pink landrover and feel at ease asking questions, something that their boyfriends or husbands don't like. I can honestly say that the most famous of all queens was the military Landrover's previous owner though and not the sort of queen found on Brighton sea front.

All the best

Reply to
wayne

On or around Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:16:40 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

OK, you've almost sold me on the concept.

I'd almost be tempted to build a minibus on one, in fact, for doing the school runs, especially if any more anklebiters turn up... what's it like getting the sods insured? I imagine it could be set up as a reasonable

8-passenger machine, with acceptable access to all seats? I can make seats and mountings, no hassle - looked into that a while back for re-seating a crewbus, and concluded that ford escort front seats mounted on suitable frames would be ideal, and easily-sourced.

Trouble is, the most sensible body would be the radio van, and that's also the most pricey option to find, although I could make an upper body with windows, at that. Main problem would be bankrolling the project, as I'd have to keep the existing one until it was sorted and running.

Mind, I bet the MPG is pretty awful. Anyone got figures, for say standard

3.5 manual?

and has anyone got one in good mechanical order that they'd sell for the sort of money that the disco would fetch?

BTW, that's a half-serious enquiry - I'd love to go this route if I can be convinced that the thing would be reliable enough for 70-80 miles per day

190 days per year, and that I could afford it.

oh, and another point about 101s... anyone had any success with adapting (say) 110 axles to fit 'em? one of the things that puts me off a 101 is the number of bespoke parts that it might be difficult to get... such as swivels... hmmm. coil-sprung 101 anyone?

hmmm...a thought occurs... persuade mother (not Martyn) that she wants a nice V8 disco, and sell the newer diesel disco... would raise more money that way, and mine is cheaper on the insurance than hers, being a few years older... mind, I'd probably have to factor in replacing or repairing the play in the T-box on it... and mending the heater, but I'll have to do that anyway...

what I'd *like* to do is a 6-wheeler disco, but that's *really* unlikely to be easy to insure, and would doubtless end up costing even more than buying a 101 and setting it up as a minibus.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Still only almost, and I thought Martyn Tim, Lee and me were doing a great job....

Well I am paying 120 quid for two 101s

Would you like me to send you a picture of something like that, seen at the 101 unofficial meet ?

Heartbreaking. Though on LPG it feels a lot better.My GS does 15 MPG

There is one on Ebay ATM, and there are several on the 101FCR website - I am sure you know where that is.

WHY ? The big old Salisburys are pretty straightforward and man enough for the job.

Well I'd be interested in that too, I am thinking about playing with airsprings on mine, taking a leaf out and adding bags.

How about a 6x6 101 ???

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

We also take the reputation of our sheep seriously and don't like the English assuming that all sheep serve the same function as English sheep. :p

Anyways, off to the signwriters today methinks - new bumper sticker for the Series - "Made in England, where men are men and sheep are nervous".

Reply to
EMB

Sour grapes make the finest whine...

Just because our sheep are prettier than yours...

Reply to
Mother

I wasn't aware that sheep could be categorised as pretty, oh well each to their own I suppose.

Reply to
EMB

Like I always said. Kiwis have no option other than shag anything with a pulse...

Reply to
Mother

k off Davies...

When are you going to bring it down to meet the neighbours, BTW?

Yeah, that's about right actually. I hadn't thought about it 'til you mentioned it, but it's usually the woman who start to ask about it. When I get onto the engine and stuff their bloke will join in. P'raps I just stop talking anything technical (THUD) - only joking...

I used to live in a housing co-op - slap bang (scuze pun) in the middle of Kemptown (the gay capital of Brighton / UK / Europe bar the Dam). My landie was far safer parked on the street there than probably anywhere else I've ever lived (cept here, but then that's only because they all think I'm some kind of survivalist nutter with guns in the cellar*...)

  • Stupid idea - they'd go rusty...
Reply to
Mother

Kin eck - 'almost' after gawd knows how many years Shackles???

What do I have to do Austin, park one on your drive and tell you to send a cheque when you can afford it???

C'mon Austin, you know you _need_ to, eventually...

There's plenty of models you could opt for sofarasregard a self build body (see mi site for numerous examples). Insurance for Grumble, any driver over 25, 12 month green card, fully comp, unlimited milage, commercial use*, 100 quid excess was 300 quid a year - and remember, this is a kin seriously modified 101 (ALL mods stated in writing to insurers and vehicle now valued at the price of a small county in the South West!)

Go on, I'll slip you the wink on any I hear going for a suitable bung.

  • dunno if what you do would count as private hire tho'
Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 03 Sep 2004 07:27:49 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

you need to see the Italian bit of a film called "Night on Earth".

recommend the whole film actually, unless you're bothered by the word "f*ck"

- part of it's set in New York...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:09:29 +0100, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

on LPG?

I bet it don't. my 3.5 disco is doing about 13 or maybe a tad more on LPG. On petrol it does about 16-18 on the same kind of driving.

on a steady run ('cept I don't do steady) it does a bit better, but not much.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:09:29 +0100, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

's been done. though it'd be easier to do a tidy job of the body, I admit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:09:29 +0100, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

what condition, though?

if you've got to supply another engine and gearbox and doa full rebuild on the rest, they're not so much of a bargain.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:33:01 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

hehe...

I may, in fact, if more anklebiters appear. It's that or another minibus, and I hate minibuses.

feckinell. However, as you surmise, it has to have a species of "passengers for hire and reward insurance", which both a) limits the companies you can get insurance with and b) makes it more expensive. Currently paying 45 quid a month for my disco for the same as your cover near enough but including the school work, with the NFU, who are prepared to do that cover for an extra 25%. All the various cheap car insurance types aren't prepared to touch it with a bargepole.

can I ask which borker/company you're using? Mother (not you...) has just had them hike the insurance on her disco by about 26%, apparently they want yet more money for the hire and reward stuff, but aren't prepared to say so directly, also apparently the rates have all gone up as well. hers is costing more than mine, but then again it's newer, although still 9 years old, so not exactly *new*.

it's either got to be very cheap (like the ones that Steve's getting. Spawney get...) for doing up over a period of time, or in good mechanical order so that I can afford to buy it, convert it as fast as reasonably possible and sell one of the current ones before I go bankrupt.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Unless the gauges are way off (and yes, I have remembered the 101 reads in km), we get typically, on a run 15mpg. The "economy" drops to 9-ish offroad.

Reply to
Steve Taylor

You mean you're not???? That's my imaginary pen-picture blown away then! Teehee.

Badger.

P.S. They only go rusty if you fail to maintain them and apply proper lubrication........

Reply to
Badger

Dunno about Austin, Martyn, but you've almost sold me on the idea....... Hmmmmmmmm..... 101 recovery unit, stretched to about 115", crew cab, lots of gas tanks, 4.0 +auto out of me 110, spec lift, loadsawinches...... would have to get power steering and disc brakes as an essential though, and some comfy seats. 110 has XR3i seats which are great.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I can urge Claire in the office to enter all of my milage and fuel records into a spreadsheet to demonstrate that 15mpg is not unreasonable - and I have a 4.6L :0)

Reply to
Mother