EFi into 101

Okay, got a good idea of all the bits that I now need if I am going to fit EFi to burrt.

I guess I'm going to have to fit a new fuel pump, as the EFi system requires the fuel to be delivered at 34-37 psi. Burrt currently has a Facet external pump, guess this doesn't deliver anywhere near that, so need to find someway to fit the EFi in tank fuel pump into Burrt's tank.

Wiring loom from the rangie to run everything, including the ECU, relays and inertia switch.

New fuel lines to cope with the higher pressure

New lpg mixer and control unit.

I'm now beginning to lean towards just refurbishing the carbs and banging them onto the engine, as it will be easier to fit a kickdown linkage onto the carbs rather than carry out the complexity of adding a whole new series of cables and wires into the existing wiring loom.

Correct thinking, or am I barking up completely the wrong tree?

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

got any good bits left on the donor?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Get or make a swirl pot, fed from the Facet, with the return back to the tank. Plumb the High pressure EFI pump into the bottom of the pot and feed that to the engine.

Plumb the engine return also to the tank.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

A whole range rover at the mo....

Top and bottom tailgate are yours if you want them, IIRC you did e-mail me me about them.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:17:00 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

or a bigger external pump...

whyfor control unit? you can run open loop... the rangie engine is a 3.9, ain't it, so a hotwire - all you need is a new mixer to fit the inlet manifold stub, and bob's yer uncle - use the gas-live signal to operate a cut-off relay on the fuel pump. If you want to do it the posh way, leave the pump running and get injector interruptors: basically, a relay in a box with 8 wire pairs in a loom - one of each pair plugs into the injector, the other into the injector wire. Gas live triggers these to cut the injectors after a pre-programmed delay. Actually, the ones I've seen did 4 injectors each and I had 2 of 'em, one for each bank.

you'll need to retune the carbs for the 3.9.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I asked about this a month or so back for mine ;)

H?ave also come up against the same thing on my car (which is currently getting a new engine to replace its carbed one)

The solution seems to be a swirl pot. like this :

you can feed it using your existing leccy pump too :)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Just thought i'd add to this - I've got a wideband lamda fitted to the truck, and am going to use my strombergs for now. I can let you know how they cope with the mixture on the 3.9 which should give you an idea how they will cope on yours.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Think I missed something here - (101, Kickdown cables, LPG Mixers, EFI ??)

You have an automatic 101 running on LPG and you want to fit fuel injection ? WHY ?

When I converted my 110 to Efi I was delighted to find that the Rangie tank is the same as the 110 so that a Rangie Efi fuel pump went straight into the tank (if the 101 has a Rangie tank then you are laughing). You can use an external Efi fuel pump if you want, just mount it real near the tank and low down. They are better at pushing than pulling.

I use normal rubber fuel lines in braided stainless covers (from Demon Tweeks) - don't have problems, and prefer em to the nylon types as harder to munge, and easier to connect.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

It is a 3.5, even though the V5 says 3.9, engine number is for a 3.5

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Dunno about 3.4/3.9 with kickdown actually. I hooked mine up (well, adjusted it correctly) and on a 4.6 it's more than a little scary!

Are you fitting a Borg Warner box? Given the weight of a 101 ambi, there could be a great deal of strain put on it.

I'm sure it's fine on a rangie, though...

Reply to
.mother

On or around Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:22:19 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

what fuel system? flapper or hotwire?

if it's a 3.5 hotwire it's presumably using disco controller and parts...

3.5 rangies were (I think all) flapper.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:47:18 -0700, Cheshire Steve enlightened us thusly:

not yet he doesn't.

he's got a 101 with a standard engine and box and an efi rangie plus autobox as a donor...

and as for "why", well, because he can, of course.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

yep, has the borg warner box on the back of the ZF.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Indeed...t'wud be rude not to.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:27:08 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

although the 101 is heavier, I doubt that a 3.5 puts more torque through the box than a 4.6 in a 2-ton-plus rangie.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:27:08 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

point about that: The BW is about 2" shorter than an LT230 front-to-back on the flanges. Assuming the LT230 is the same between flanges as the LT95 etc. on the 101, then you may have scope for moving the front flange back 2" and improving the front prop angles in so doing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

one of the things I am currently measuring, would mean also moving the engine as well.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:18:35 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

might need that anyway: when I fitted the same combo into the 110, I left the front prop standard and lengthened the rear one. This allowed using the same gearbox mounts, but the engine mounts needed moving forward about 4"

but on the 101, I'd have thought that moving the box back to lengthen the front shaft would make sense. You'd want to measure up the engine /bellhousing/box length of the 2 units, I'd reckon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

can't shift the engine at all due to the way the body is built around the engine. I spent ages measuring all my options last night. The front prop will be longer than standard, and the rear prop will be shorter if I can read my hastily scribbled notes. Basically from the front flange to the front of the bellhousing on the LT95 is approx

390mm, while the same measurement on the ZF is 520mm, which will mean I need a new longer front prop, which should hopefully kill some of the rumble.

Basically leave the engine on the standard mounts, fit the gear box to the engine and relocate the gearboxmounts. Measure the new prop lengths front and rear and get new ones fabricated, unless, by some miracle, any of the prop shafts I have saved here will fit, I have a set of front and rear S3 LWB and SWB, Disco and RR (LT77) and RR ZF. Sods law says that none of these will fit!!!!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

If you need any more detailed measurements or photos of what its like without an engine in the way let me know :)