Engine swaps for a 101

A new friend with an old but tidy 101 has asked me to ask of AFL "I have the chance of replacing my v8 with a 3.9l V8 from a disco, will it fit as the injection system on top may not fit under the 101 top cover as the engine seems a bit high, do you have any thoughts please?

Also what about a 5.7 litre V8 chevy engine, mated to my gearbox, would that fit , has anyone done it before and would it wreck my gearbox?"

Any comments gratefully received as usual.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On Mon, 08 May 2006 17:51:23 +0100, Steve Taylor scribbled the following nonsense:

I think when Martyn had the new engine in Grumble he put a set of SU carbs for this very reason I believe, but he will be able to fill in with more about it, I'm sure.

As for the 5.7 V8, not sure. I know that the 3 speed and 4 speed autos can cope with it, but given that the LT95 is a tough old box anyway.....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

The 3.9 with efi will fit, but the only problem will be with the gear change. I did this very thing to mine when I had one a few years ago, the gear linkage did take a little sorting firstly with a modified linfage which I fabricated, then moved on to a sort of swivel tree ffair which worked out just about perfect. Hope this helps

Reply to
Dad

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I'm mad enough to put a 4.2 Jag lump in a IIa but that included uprating the brakes to the Stage 1 ones along with axles.

Now even if the LT95 coped I wouldn't because of the issues over the brakes. Yes 101 brakes are good but not performance good. If it's for more grunt for the load then go for it.

As for the Disk conversions available I've heard enough horror stories of cracked discs on relatively new installations , and having to grind calipers to get them to fit....er I think not.

The Injection system issue can I understand be overcome by fitting an auto as the only thing in the way of the injection system IIRC is the gear linkage.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Steve Taylor uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Steve.... speaking of Engines transplants hows the Ambi coming along now?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D