Black hands on damp mornings

Not a problem you are likely to get with discos and freelanders,...

However my steering wheel is giving me this problem.

Obviosly I could replace it with a new one, which would seem rather pointless

I went into my local car spares place to see if they had a suitable steering wheel cover but of course nothing fits a 16" wheel. Anyone know where I can get a cheap cover for the steering wheel mail order that fits and keeps my hands clean ?

Reply to
Larry

Cheapest option would be latex gloves...

Reply to
David French

Baby wipes...as in arse wipes. They sorted the problem on Morph. Cleans up a treat.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Well if cleaning it with an alcohol or solvent based cleaner fails, you could always get some racket tape from a sports shop. The type they use on badminton rackets would be ideal.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

But would they stretch enough to cover the steering wheel?

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around 5/10/03 11:00 am, Lee_D using , in article ID fZRfb.7144$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net, scribbled:

Or fit a Defender comfy version.

Reply to
Llandrovers

I think i saw an article in one of the mags about restoring steering wheels. I think they just painted it black. The steering wheel that came with my 2A was made of horrible spongy stuff. It used to soak up water in the night, and made your hands smell all moldy and horrible. I covered it in insulation tape until i managed to buy a nice new one.

Reply to
Tom Woods

in article blold5$e8iop$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-129032.news.uni-berlin.de, Larry at snipped-for-privacy@larry-arnold.com wrote on 5/10/03 9:30:

Wipeing it round with some white spirits useually stops thatbut I find makeing it too clean makes it slippy.

Reply to
Rory Manton

A common 101 restoration for the steering wheel is to clean it and then spray it with Black Hammerite. You do need to leave it for a good couple of months though, as my experience with Hammerite is that it can take that long for it to properly 'cure' to a very hard finish.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:30:07 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

the cheapo plastic soft-feel ones will sometimes stretch - I have one on the

110 - fake-leather, with holes in, but in reality it's some sort of plastic stuff. Made in China... was a sod to get it on, you have to start lacing it on and stretch it as you go, or it keeps slipping off. But it's stayed on so far.

Can't tell you where to get it, unfortunately, 'cos someone gave it to me.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Larry,

Clean it up well with spirit, give it a rub with steel wool to key the surface, and then a couple of coats of clear polyurathane varnish. It will obviously eventually wear off, but should last a long time and can easily be re-applied when needed.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson