Bleeding a 200tdi ??

HI all,

Just about to fill my 200tdi (Defender) back up with Ant-freeze after draining.

Question is how do I bleed it properly? Im not concerned about getting air out of the hoses and radiator, more out of the heater matrix and feeding pipes.

From what I can see the heater matrix and associated pipes come from the top of the head and are higher than the bleed key in the top of the radiator?

Any thoughts??? I guess I could just removed the pipe from the heater until water comes out but is there a better way?

thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

Jon Hi,

fill it up with antifreeze, let the engine operate until well hot and keep the heater at the warmest setting. Drive the car and keep the antifreeze bottle with you so that you fill up the system.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

So I guess with the heater on (pipes open) its pretty much self bleeding...

Great. Thanks.

Reply to
Jon

Jon composed the following;:

That's also how we did our 300Tdi, but be aware, it _can_ take a lot of antifreeze to fill it. Check the levels often whilst you're driving round. It can bleed fully in ten minutes, or it can ake a week if you don't do many miles.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Jon Hi,

one more thing. The radiator has a big plastic plug on its upper right hand side (black plastic one, you can't miss it) Undo this plug while you are adding antifreece into the expansion tank and this way the system will allow the air bubbles to escape from there.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

These can crack and disintegrate loss of coolant big time. Can be replaced with a brass one I have heard

Reply to
Hirsty's

yes,

sells them.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I changed the radiator about 6 months ago (95% of the vanes where missing from the back!). When I changed it i got rid of the nasty plastic plug and bought a brass, domestic radiator bleed key - its a great mod and cheap.

...Back then though I was still unsure about bleeding the heater!

Thanks J>

Reply to
Jon

(oooooooooh!>

Us too - 1.76 inc VAT

I've been waiting for years to get that one in!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard Hi,

and you price is much better than theirs.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Hi Jon, The best way I have found to refil my 200tdi is to open the rad cap and also the expansion tank cap. Fill the rad with a mixture of the required anti freeze quantity and distilled water until the rad overflows. Then screw the rad cap back on and fill the expansion tank up. Whilst you are doing this squeeze the rubber pipework going to the rad, tank and engine block and try and get the fluid to move around, also squeeze the heater matrix pipes too. Fill the expansion tank up to the cross inside the tank, you may need a tourch to see it!

go for a drive, 15 mins or so, stop check the expansion tank fill up again and squeeze the pipes again too. Drive home and check again, fill if necessary.

Be careful when checking the expansion tank, the water should be quite hot by now!

The point of the drive is that the coolant system is pressurised and you need to pressurise it to get the air out, it naturally ends up in the expansion tank!

Good luck mate!

Geo.

J> HI all,

Reply to
G.T.R.Springett

Not forgeting to have the cabin heater on.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos