Robin B'Stards

Anyone know of an insurance company who will offer a sensible premium for an additional car on the same policy? I have a 101 insured with NFU (cost about 300 quid). I wanted to add a 97 Disco (of about the same value) to the policy and they say my renewal premium will be around 950. WTF? I know that NCB can only be applied to one vehicle (which is one of the all-time best scams - surely NCB is derived from the assessed risk on the driver?) but this is ludicrous. I can only drive one at a time! Anyone have any suggestions?

M.

Reply to
balloons

definitely worth asking for a quote if you have to insure it separately. It is a scam though. At one time NU did a drivers policy for motorcycles, you were covered full comp for any bike you rode. Why can't car policies be like that? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Anyone have any

Just had another thought - can you insure the 101 as a classic not using your ncb, then tx the ncb to the disco? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Bennets offered me the same no claims discount on a 2nd car as I'd already earnt on the main car. Good deal at the time - insure a 110 for about £150 fully comp and get the same discount on the 2nd car - a Saab 9000.

Reply to
Danny

I'm not sure this particular 101 would come under "classic military" but the likes of Roadsure ask that the vehicles on their military policy are second vehicles and also not for business use. Not sure if 'classic' applies to a vehicle that has been modified and isn't the same as when it was in service. Maybe a look at a policy simply for 'old' vehicles might work, if there is such a thing.

Aren;t there websites around where you can put your details in and get a load of quotes? Then agina, that would work Ok for something like an Astra 1.6 Estate but an application for a 101 would probably bounce "does not compute!"

Reply to
wayne

I tried this route with NFU some time ago, I tried to transfer the NCD from my landy to an old Audi A4 TDi Auto I bought, but NFU said that I can't transfer the NCD between two cars insured with them, it was company policy... I told them that I could move the NCD from the landy to the audi by moving it to a different insurance company. They said they'd call me back, and within 5 mins they'd mysteriously found that I qualified for a special discount that just slightly undercut the expense of transferring! What a coincidence eh...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I have found that it is possible to multiply NCD by changing the policy to another company, using present policy as proof of NCD, then contacting the first company and asking to renew the policy and change the vehicle at the same time.

Presto. One policy with full no-claims becomes two policies with full no-claims

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Move to New Zealand. An NCB here applies to the driver - I have a full NCB gained on one vehicle years ago that applies to the entire fleet now (wife's car, my Hilux, our motorhome and 2 series vehicles). The downside is that losing it will cost me a shedload of money (but there's ways around that too).

Reply to
EMB

And while it's unlikely you will get caught this is an offence of obtaining a precunary advantage (at least it is in England and Wales) , basically misrepresenting the facts to obtain a service. Just a heads up for anyone considering going ahaead with such a ploy.

It's the same offence that would be considered stating you have a degree in Nuclear chemistry which lands you a highly paid job when you have no such qualification and you would not have got the job were the true facts known.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Or sticking tax exempt chassis plate on a S3. I couldn't possibly condone such an action, I was merely providing an example.

:D

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The big problem I have (other than having five cars to insure!) is that the 101 has to be on an 'any driver over 25' policy and NFU were the only ones, at the time, able to offer this. I did ask them for a new quote for the Disco (without NCB) and they were much more expensive than the likes of the online co's i.e. churchill, directline etc etc who obviously give introductory bonuses.

When I originally insured the 101, NFU would only insure cars up to 30 years old (the 101 is '75) but they seem happy to continue cover. Anyone else had this problem?

NFU are happy to transfer the NCB to the Disco (higher group than 101) which will reduce things slightly. I may just move the Disco elsewhere altogether. I will try Bennetts.

M.

Reply to
balloons