Bloody brilliant.

LT230, input gear. On the face of it, it ought to slide out, but it bloody doesn't. and for why? the gear on the intermediate shaft behind is isn't too big (appears to be the same size), but the bloody thing's out of phase such that the teeth run into eachother, buggrit.

1.192 ratio, if that makes a difference. arse.

nemmind. There's play in the shaft, but I'd be amazed if there wasn't on a second-hand LT77/LT230. looks like under 1mm measured around the shaft.

What I think I'll do is get it swapped, and then have a think about rebuilding the one that's in there, depending on what the replacement feels like.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Austin,

I just took my input gear out to have a look at the amount of wear on the shaft and gear. It did not came straight out, but with one of the rear wheels jacked up you can wiggle to hand brake drum about and get the gear out.

To my surprise most of the wear is actually in the input gear, the gearbox main shaft looks pretty good (to my untrained eyes, anyway), so have ordered a new input gear and will see how things work with that.

Good luck with yours,

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

Austin Hi,

According to Ashcroft's site :

QUOTE I want to change the input gear on my LT230 for a later cross drilled type, can I do this in situ or do I have to take the transfer box out?

This is only available on a suffix C or later (last number of transfer case), it cannot be changed on Suffix A or B transfer boxes. On a 1.667 or a

1.410 removal of the gear is simple, it just slides out; on a 1.222 it in necessary to rotate the intermediate gear to a position where the teeth on the middle and rear gears are in line and allow the input gear to slide through. It is not possible to change a 1.003 in situ.

UNQUOTE

hope this helps

Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:12:07 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

I remember reading that. Howver, rotating it, in or out of gear, don't seem to make any sodding difference. I'll have to study it further. This one is

1.192, mind. can't remember if that makes it "Q" gears...

there's something that makes a difference between 1.222 and 1.192.

Reply to
Austin Shackles