My idea, all mine!

Here's an idea for cars.

How many people /don't/ smoke in their cars? And yet all cars come with at least one ashtray, which are ill suited to other uses - they're too small for litter, too fiddly for small change etc. Most ashtrays pop out if you put your fingers inside (a clean one for preference) and pull, and generally the housing pops out, too.

So, I propose that car makers provide an alternative fitting, loose in the glovebox or boot when you buy the car. It'd replace the ashtray/lighter unit with something more useful. A decent array of power sockets, for example, with the remaining space having a rechargeable torch or a pop-out mirror or some other handy gadget. Maybe a phone station or a trib fubulator. Who knows!

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

I had a similar idea about the cigarette lighter. Again, all cars have them, but they're much less useful now. Let's admit that it is not a cigarette lighter at all, it is really a power socket for your SatNav/Handsfree mobile phone/mini vacuum cleaner/whatever. Keep the socket because it's a standard size and we all have gizmos that use it, but replace the ciggy lighter that just gets lost anyway with something truly universally useful. I thought a torch, as you did.

Ideally it would be a little tiny robot that pops out when the engine is switched off and the car is motionless for at least ten minutes. It would clean up all the crumbs and sweet wrappers and other crud my kids leave behind, and wipe the dust off the dash and sticky fingerprints off the windows and everywhere else, it would turn off any interior lights that have been left on, wind the windows up fully when they have been left down a crack, and leave a little post-it-note stuck to the steering wheel if the petrol is getting low and I don't seem to have noticed.

Reply to
M Rimmer

actually new cars don't all come with an ashtray, I tried an Auris the other day, the ashtray was wrapped up as an accessory in the glove box and could be fitted into a cupholder if you wanted, so sorry you are too late.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In article , Guy King generously decided to share with us..

They should also come with an optional ashtray on the right of the driver to stop the right-handed driver having to reach across the wheel with their right hand whilst smoking..

Naah.. sod it.. just use the ashtray when the floor is full like anyone sensible..

Reply to
Gid

The rear ashtray in the Focus unclips to enable the fitting of a Ford CD wallet, complete with a pen.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Smoke left handed, that's what I used to do.

That too.

Reply to
malc

I keep a pound coin in mine, and for some undoubtedly bizarre but Freudian reason a used oramge fletching from an arrow. I also keep my phobile moan in it TAAW, 'cos it's just the right shape and size for to keep a phobile moan in whilst driving. What I don't understand though, is why I might want to use my phobile moan holder as an ashtray.

Reply to
Sena

M Rimmer wrote

(snip)

What a good idea, and one for indoors too.

Reply to
Roger Hunt

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

Damn!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from M Rimmer contains these words:

I'd love a crawler than pops out when the car's parked to clean the inside of the windscreen. Sometimes getting it smear-free is a sod and with a low sun it's very distracting.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Sena contains these words:

My phone's just the wrong shape to fit in the little pocket next to the clock on the Mundane. Said pocket takes SD cards from the radio nicely though.

Reply to
Guy King

When I bought my car - I specified a no-smoking package - came with most of the things you suggested.... A FIAT by the way !

;-)

Graham

Reply to
Graham2

The ashtray on the Octavia was kept indoors, until I realised perfectly decent clutch-action pencils were vanishing into the void beneath the ashtray, never to be seen again.

Reply to
Peter Thomas

I'd not say no to a clock in my car. That's mainly why I like to keep my phobile handy, because the car doesn't have a clock.

Reply to
Sena

On most cars the ashtray is unsuited for what it's meant for too - it's too small and in the wrong place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a much better power socket about the same size (OK - slightly smaller) as a cigar lighter, but I can't unforget exactly what they're called, although I did specify loads of these for a fleet of jbex cars a few years ago. The inner connector was a bullet connector, and the whole thing would comfortably carry 10A or so indefinitely. Some cigar lighter plugs will adapt to these by removing a plastic bit.

The 'bullet' connector relies on side springs to molish contact, rather than a simple butt connection.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It's already done, you must buy either cheap or crap cars!

Reply to
Trevor

The message from "Trevor" contains these words:

Just old bangers. I've never bought a new car in my life and I don't intend to start now.

Reply to
Guy King

In the Olden Days, when me dad were a smoker, he never used the ashtray. When he smoked in the car, he had the window open a bit and flicked ash out of the small gap.

Reply to
Kate XXXXXX

Hella?

Reply to