lt77 transfer gear clonk

Any body know if the transfer input gear can be changed in situ and if ti can as i suspect has anyone tried just replacing thi without replacing gearbox mainshaft to cure the dreaded "clonk" ? Thanks in advance Icky

Reply to
the ickys

I wouldn't even try it. I suspect the problem is main shaft wear as well. I changed the whole gearbox when I had mine done.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

On or around Tue, 05 Oct 2004 07:51:37 GMT, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

I think you'll find that most of the wear is the shaft. I'm just looking at this problem myself...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Icky Hi,

I suggest you take a look at the Ashcrofts' site.

and more specifically the "LT230 FAQ's" where it states.

QUOTE I want to change the input gear on my LT230 for a later cross drilled type, can I do this in situ or do I have to take the transfer box out?

This is only available on a suffix C or later (last number of transfer case), it cannot be changed on Suffix A or B transfer boxes. On a 1.667 or a

1.410 removal of the gear is simple, it just slides out; on a 1.222 it in necessary to rotate the intermediate gear to a position where the teeth on the middle and rear gears are in line and allow the input gear to slide through. It is not possible to change a 1.003 in situ. top

UNQUOTE

Hope this helps.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Just a minor point of order on availability - are they referring to their products or gerneral availability?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd